1996 lumina car - wheel cylinder r & r

I'm trying to replace the leaky wheel cylinders on a 1996 Lumina car. The w heel cylinder bolts have e8 torx heads, and not enough clearance to use a s ocket or a flat box end wrench. I tried to get a special tool, the Lisle 22

070, which is made for this exact job, but it does not seem to be available any more. Maybe discontinued.Also I,m in Canada (Victoria BC) and would pr efer to avoid shipping charges from a US vendor. Here's what it looks like :
Some options I've considered: 1) have someone with a torch and vise put a small bend in my newly-purchase d but currently useless e8-e6 flat box end wrench.

2) loosen the hub and backing plate, slide it out to where I can get room t o use a socket - this does not look easy, as I might have to apply a fair b it of force to get the hub to separate after the bolts are loose

3) try to use a 1/4 inch socket on the e8 torx bolt. I suspect this could j ust wreck the bolt head, leaving me with a bigger problem

4) take it to a pro and let him worry about it.(last resort due to budget)

5) keep looking for the Lisle tool.

Can anyone offer advice on any of the above, or any other suggestions?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
tim blanchard

I would bend/weld as needed. See also:

AMuzi

NAPA makes the appropriate wrench as well as Lisle, and I would be very surprised if Snap-On didn't have something like it too.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

wheel cylinder bolts have e8 torx heads, and not enough clearance to use a socket or a flat box end wrench. I tried to get a special tool, the Lisle

22070, which is made for this exact job, but it does not seem to be availab le any more. Maybe discontinued.Also I,m in Canada (Victoria BC) and would prefer to avoid shipping charges from a US vendor. Here's what it looks li ke:

sed but currently useless e8-e6 flat box end wrench.

to use a socket - this does not look easy, as I might have to apply a fair bit of force to get the hub to separate after the bolts are loose

just wreck the bolt head, leaving me with a bigger problem

Thanks to Andrew and Scott for the replies. NAPA has a gearench model that is too flat, Snap-on has a nice one that has offset ends and would likely work, but it's pricey. I found the Vim WT0810 Torx Box Wrench on amazon.ca for about $20 that should do the job, but it could take 2-5 weeks to ship. It's looking like my best bet at the moment is to bend the Mac wrench.

Reply to
tim blanchard

tim blanchard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

buy a cheepy and bend that not a good mac one. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Well I didn't bend the Mac wrench. I found someone (a mechanic who works at home on the side) with more tools and nuts-and-bolts experience to do the job. He has the right Snap-on tool to fit the torx bolts, but since they we re rusty he just air-chiseled them off and replaced them with Allen head b olts.

Reply to
tim blanchard