1997 vortec V8

i rebuilt my motor in my truck and i had my dad put it together and i didn't realise he used new studs for the windage tray(SP?) and it relocated it a little and now i everytime i go to check the oil the oil stick won't go in like it is hitting something anyone ever run into this? do i have to pull the motor again? was i supposed to get a shorter stick? any help would be great

Reply to
William C.

Are you sure that's the problem? What about the dipstick tube, did he or you happen to kink it a bit? You could just pull the pan off, if in fact it's the windage tray that's the problem. No need to pull the engine back out.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
William C.

Why "don't you think so"? Have you never run into this before? I have....many times. It's not necessarily the problem, but it's certainly more common then the dipstick hitting the windage tray.

Then I guess you "fix it"! "Relocate" it back to where it was.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Sell it and buy a FORD! :)

Reply to
Merc

so what your saying is the dipstick tube just might be in to far? i didn't mean to say you hadn't run into it before but i said i didn't think so cause i haven't checked eveything cause i thought it was something else

Reply to
William C.

No, I'm just guessing that it's a possibility that someone may have bent the tube a bit, which can make the dipstick hard or impossible to put in all the way.

If you think there is nothing wrong with the dipstick tube, then I would suggest that you fix the item you know was changed.. ie: the windage tray and it's position.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai