2000 Silverado-Remove Bed or Drop Gas Tank

I have a 2000 Silverado with a surging gas gauge and after searching the other posts, I see it is a common problem. My question is: what would be easier to do to replace the sending unit in the gas tank, remove the bed or drop the gas tank. For anyone that has removed the bed, how easy/hard is it? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Artie

I have had to pull the 17 gallon gas tank on my '78 Scout a few times and have found I can lower it using only my muscle power as long as it is empty.

I suggest using a siphon pump (about $5) to drain it, then build a non-sparking support (I used layered wood blocks) a few inches below the thank. Put a a piece of wood between a floor jack and the tank, removed the straps holding the tank and slowly lower it on to the surrounding non-sparking supports. That way you can look for and disconnect anything that may cause a problem lowering it (i.e. sending unit wires, fuel line, etc.) enough to pull the tank out from under the vehicle.

If you use a flash light to peer around any open fuel lines, spend a few extra dollars to get an intrinsically safe (Cat 1, Div II) model or at least turn it on and off away from any gas vapors.

Reply to
Ed H.

I did the opposite...I simply took off the bed. This can probably only be done if you have the proper equipment, however. There are about 6 bolts that connect the bed to the frame. If you have a tractor with a frontloader with forks then pull it up behind the truck and use heavy-duty straps to attach to the bed. Be sure that you are in the center of the bed and all of that, otherwise you'll lose the load. Unscrew the bolts and raise the bed...be sure you back straight up so that it is easier to realign when you have to put it back. This method will give you much easier access to the tank without having to get on your hands and knees too much. Both ways work but this may be a lot more simple if you have the right stuff. Good luck!

In Christ Alone

Artie wrote:

Reply to
FGMartinez

Pull the bed. Much easier than attempting to drop a tank with gas in it. Remove the bed bolts, Disconnect the rear light wiring harness, remove the screws holding the fuel filler line to the box. Drop the spare tire. Now have a buddy come over and help you lift the bed off. If you have access to a tractor with a loader or similar then you can sling the bed and lift it with that. Once you have the bed off you can tip it up, wash it down real good and scrub any rust off then undercoat it before you put it back on. You could also paint the frame while you have it apart.

Reply to
Steve W.

Dropping the tank is so much easier than removing the bed. What on earth are you people talking about? Why is everyone so afraid of removing gas tanks in chev trucks? it's a lot easier than replacing a windshield wiper switch.

Reply to
Battleax