2002 chev silverado 2 transmission failures

Repair history of 2002 chev silverado, 4X4 1500HD crewcab 4L80E trany

1st transmission failure at 20,000 K Aug 2003

Parts that were replaced as per WO & descrip. at Lou Bachrodt Automall in Rockford ,IL,USA

Cust says the trans is slipping on accel & even while on the hway

4L80-E transmission slips due to burnt direct clutches, fluid contaminated R+R 4L80-E transmission and resealed completely with new FWD and direct clutches, piston, and torque converter filled and road tested 15 miles. flush code #EBB6E07 FC 2L cc K7361 5.8 add .3 add 3.5

parts FP number description 1 24217235 T/CV rem 4.115 -1 24217235 core return 10 24202646 plate, fl 4.163 5 8625197 plate 4.163 1 24204961 piston 4.166 4 24204287 plate 4.169 1 24210955 gasket KI 4.005 1 15704050 gasket 4.515

14.0 trans-fluid

2 nd transmission failure at 32,000 k March 2004

Parts that were replaced as per WO & descrip. at Lakewood Chev-Old in Edmonton, Alta, Canada

complaint: check for the transmission is slipping between 2nd & 3rd also will not shift into O/D. Fluid is burnt.

cause: road test could get to slip between 2-3 upshift, fluid burnt. Performed pressure test. Has good pressure. Removed transmission and tear down. Found direct and forward clutches burnt. seals scuffed. PC solenoid full of clutch material.

correction: cleaned out transmission case. cleaned prelubed and installed all remaining good parts. replaced forward and direct clutches. replaced torn direct piston. replaced clogged PC solenoid. checked pump OK. replaced frt. pumps seal. flushed lines. reinstalled transmission. topped fluid. topped T/case. trans. fluid level good. cleared taps. road test all ok.shifts good has all gear. has firm up shifts. recomend when pulling or hauling be sure to use tow/haul function. went through and cleaned entire transmission. air tested all before install. all test ok.

parts FP number description 1 24209839 seal asm 042260 1 24204961 piston 041660 5 8625197 plate 041630 1 8675728 gasket rr 041090 1 24204268 gasket 042650 1 24204253 gasket 042650 1 8661829 gasket 042280 1 24210956 fltr kit 041970 1 8677782 gasket 042260 1 24210605 seal oil 042260 1 8661760 seal 041230 10 24202646 plate FL 041630 1 24220158 valve sol 042650 2 15077362 seal 036110 1 15704050 gasket 045150 3 10952623 fluid 088000

All work was done under warranty at no cost to me, other than having our vacation wrecked in the states last year. Heaviest load hauled with this truck is a 1200 lb. boat. or is that too much for this truck to handle?

I do not have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this transmission. This is the ( bullet-proof ) tranny for GM and having owned a 79 GM for 23 years (purchased new) that never gave me any grief I decided to go with GM again.

Service manager on the last repair told me that GM will repair this tranny 10 times if need be to get me past the warranty period. Then it becomes my problem. When I asked why the T/CV was not replaced, I was told that they only do what GM tells them to do. My understanding is that when doing a mayor overhaul the T/CV is usually replaced because of the contaminents inside.

Any suggestions or advice that some of you might have would be greatly appreciated. ie. replacement tranny from GM? I was told this would never be done in Canada by GM. extended warranty? sell truck while it still has some value?

thanks in advance

Reply to
ps

the first repair should have included a pressure control solenoid

the second should have included a converter

both shops sound like they are run by the bean-counters instead of REAL service people

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Doesn't the "Lemon Law" kick in on the 3rd time around? I would be checking into that at least.

Reply to
t_puls

thanks for the feedback I forgot to mention that in both instances the transmission failure alarm never came on and temp was never higher than 90 C as shown on the indicator. Yet the fluid was burnt and had that distictive odour to it. Both dealerships were told of this also. The one service manager told me you can have the transmission cook and never see the temp. gauge go over normal. So the question is. What purpose does this gauge perform or is it for decorative purpose only. They (dealership) tell me the gauge works fine?

Reply to
ps

Trade It!

Reply to