Jeep transmission filter/fluid change

I am the proud owner of a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 wheel drive. I am intent on doing a transmission filter and fluid change myself but have hit a bump in the road. The tranny is an AW-4 (automatic 4-speed). While I was under the car, I noticed a metal pipe connected to the side of the pan and was uncertain as how to disconnect/re-connect it in the course of the fluid/filter change. I consulted two repair manuals. The Haynes Manual doesn¹t even refer to it when it describes how to do the fluid change while the Chilton manual just briefly states, to disconnect the pick-up pipe, if so equipped. I noticed that at the point of entry into the transmission pan, the pipe appears to be attached by a metal flange, and it is not obvious to me how it will detach from the pan body. Therefore I have two questions.

One---How is the pipe connected/detached from the pan?

Two---there must be some kind of gasket/washer to ensure a leak proof seal between the pipe and pan, so does the transmission filter and gasket kit sold at auto parts stores normally include a gasket/seal for the pipe?

Thanks to any who can enlighten me.

Sincerely, Confused in Las Vegas

Reply to
Eve Howard

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hi Eve, I have a 1987 Cherokee with an AW-4 transmission. On my transmission the tube connected to the side of the pan is the fill tube. This tube is made of two parts. The lower part is permanently mounted to the pan. The upper part of the fill tube has an O-ring on the end and it slides into the lower part. You have to loosen the bracket that holds the upper part and then pull it out. You can then unbolt the pan and remove it.

Mike Capel

capel AT mb DOT sympatico DOT ca

Reply to
ianto

First of all that AW-4 doesn't have a filter. It has a screen. The way I did a complete change was by removing the upper transmission cooling line at the radiator (the return line, make sure you use a flare nut wrench!). Clamp a 3' piece of 3/4 hose on the nipple on the radiator. Get yourself 2 -1 gal. Plastic milk containers with screw caps (or any opaque container gallon size), and another container that will hold at least 2 gallons. The 5-gallon plastic containers that the Chinese restraints use for cooking oil are great. You can usually find them in their garbage. Cut the side out to make a drain pan. Remove the drain plug and drain out the fluid. It should be around 2 1/2 qts. Fill the transmission with the same amount you took out. Now place the hose into the other milk jug, start the car (it helps if you have another person to start and stop the car), and fill the jug to about 3 qts. Stop the car and add 3 quarts repeat this until you use about 8 or nine quarts, or when the color of the two fluids look the same. You will have completely changed the fluid. I use Mobil 1 synthetic. I also use it in the transfer case.

Reply to
Dave Best