2002 S-10 Rear Axles worn out in 50,000 miles

I have a 2002 S-10 4-door pick up 4X4. I have NEVER taken it off road, I don't own a boat so it has NEVER been backed down a ramp into the water. However, on two occasions the differential has been full of water. The first time, it was discovered when I took it in to the dealer to replace the leaking pinion seall. The dealer made me pay to have the diff drained, cleaned and refilled. About a month later, I took it back for a oil change and the diff was full of water again. I must say that during this time we were getting a LOT of rain. Anyway, the dealer relocated the diff vent hose, and there has been no indication of water in the diff since.

Now, 25,000 miles later ( the truck has 52,000 miles on it) the rear axle seals start leaking. I took it to the dealer expecting to pay to have the seals replaced. They found BOTH axles were grooved to the point that they needed to be replaced.

I've been in the automotive business for 40 years and I have NEVER seen axles worn out in 50,000 miles. Has anyone else experienced this with their S-10's? They charged me over $900.00 to replace them. I would have thought they would have a wear sleeve they could install on the axles, but they said no.

Reply to
<jblack23

What else did they do for the 900.00. 2 axles and labor does not run that high.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Woodcock

===== =====

2002 S-10 Rear Axles worn out in 50,000 miles Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sat, Jul 31, 2004, 11:34am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.com ()

[...]

The entire deal shure sounds wierd to me.

But, the water could very likely be the contributing factor to the wear, and most likely is.....if you're the original owner of the truck.

Have you owned this truck since it was new? Ever loan the thing out to yer buddies?

Got any teenage boys you let drive it?

Definately a curious scenario.

MarshMonster ~:~ ====== ======

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Oh yeah they do. Go price out a couple of axles for those vehicles from a dealer.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai