2002 S-10 vacuum leak

I apparently have a vacuum leak because when I put my foot on the brake pedal, whether I'm moving or not, I can hear a hissing noise. When I try to locate it by having someone press on the brake while my head is under the hood, I can't hear it over the engine noise.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
John Lynch

Assuming it really is a vacuum leak, verified with a vacuum gauge try some starter fluid or carb spray sprayed around the vacuum lines will change the engine RPM when it finds the leak.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Thanks Mike, is there something else I should look for besides vacuum?

Reply to
John Lynch

John Lynch wrote

This reminds me of a car I had a few years ago. There was a vacuum line under the dash connected to a valve that opened when you pressed on the brake pedal, and you could sometimes hear a hissing noise from that when the brakes were applied. I believe it was used to disengage the cruise control (which was a vacuum controlled system). I can't check my S-10 at the moment to see if it has the same setup, but you might try looking under the dash for something like that.

Reply to
Jon Ault

Thanks, Jon, I don't have cruise control, though.

Reply to
John Lynch

I had a similar problem like this on a cj7. There was a rushing noise that you could only hear inside the cab. It turned out to be the brake vacuum booster diaphram that had a bad leak where it connected inside the cab to the brake pushrod.

Reply to
Ralph757

take a look at the check valve on the brake booster. It is a

on the brake

noise. When I try to

head is under the

I had a similar problem like this on a cj7. There was a rushing noise that you could only hear inside the cab. It turned out to be the brake vacuum booster diaphram that had a bad leak where it connected inside the cab to the brake pushrod.

Reply to
Boots

Do you have ABS?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Yes, I do have ABS.

Is the check valve the elbow that the vacuum hose is connected to at the booster tank? Will driving it with a leak make it worse? John

John Lynch wrote:

Reply to
John Lynch