99 Altima - startup noise question (again!)

Ok, so after getting the oil and filter changed, I'm still getting some valve (or other mechanical noise) when I first start my 99 Altima. The old filter was a Carquest generic one, and I now have a Nissan one on, although it's white with red lettering instead of blue. Anyway, I was hoping someone could tell me not to worry about the sound so I could stop being so paranoid about it :)

I'm just trying to think of what might be wrong, if anything, that would make that sound.. Does the 99 have hydraulic lifters that might be taking a couple of seconds to get filled up? Once the tapping stops, it sounds fine, and doesn't make any other strange sounds.

The really odd thing is that it happens first thing in the morning, and when I leave work at the end of the day, but if I go out at noon, it's almost inaudible, but WILL be heard again at 5pm.. this has happened 3 or 4 times so far since I've been paying attention to it. It sits for 3 1/2 hours before lunch, and for another 3 1/2 hours after, so it's not simply because it sits longer in the afternoon.

Any thoughts? Should I take it to the dealer, or is it normal and should I stop asking about it? :) What worries me is that I've never heard this kinds of tapping from my 94 except when it's been below -10 degrees C outside.

I'd probably have to leave it overnight for them to hear it, so it'd be a bit of a hassle, but I suppose worth it for some piece of mind or at least to get it fixed.

Reply to
JM

The valves are solid. The service schedule does say "adjust when noisy" though. If the sound is coming from the front of the engine, it could also be the timing chain, or sometimes, old crunchy accessory belts make a similar rattling noise. As the ribs in the belt chunk off, they start making a zing going through the pulleys that sounds a lot like a noisy timing chain or valve tick.

Reply to
E. Meyer