2005 Silverado: Rear Drum Brakes ?

Is this item in regard to the 2005 Silverado a mistake?:

Front disc/rear drum anti-lock brakes are standard on all models except trucks with Quadrasteer.

Rear drum brakes? This sounds like a giant step backward. The Monroni sticker on my 2004 Silverado shows that 4-WHEEL DISK BRAKES are standard equipment. The rear disk brakes on my 2004 Silverado have completely eliminated the traditional problems that I had with the rear drum brakes on my 1990 Scottsdale: Out of round drums caused by park brake clamping and park brake slippage. I thought that the 4-wheel disk brakes were a tremendous improvement.

Is it possible that GM has gone back to putting only drum brakes in the rear of its 2005 Silverado trucks?

Reply to
One-Shot Scot

Markeau

Unless they got to a double piston caliper they will have nothing but troube. I have a 2004 and have had the brakes replace under warranty . I usually never replace brakes till 60,000 miles as i do all highway driving.

Reply to
Randd01

What was your mileage when you replaced them?

V.B.

Reply to
vb

I had 33,000 miles on it whn the first caliper froze up. Then shortly after the backs were prematurely worn out at around 35,000 miles. In my opinion I think the pads are too small. I don't know what the problem is with the calipers but I know a few peopel that have had a few freeze up also. And I also have a ffriend that has a 2004 that had to have all the brake lines replaced to the back brakes because there were internal blockages of some sort fromt he factory. But he wore out his back brakes in 12,000 miles. Another friend with a 2001 has had the brakes done 3 times under 50,000 miles. The dealer told him it is because the antilock sensors were dirty. BS!!

Reply to
Randd01

No.

Well, you thought wrong. The rear disc brakes on full size trucks (New style body), have been nothing but trouble. Especially trucks that are used in a lot of off road applications, or muddy, dirty situations. Personally, as a mechanic that makes my living fixing the stupid things, I'd prefer that GM not bring back the drum brakes (very little goes wrong with them), but in the interest of putting out a more reliable product, drums are the way to go in a lot of situations.

You can get either drums, or disc brakes. Your choice.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Wait, the full-size trucks don't have dual-piston calipers? Even the S-10 had dual-piston calipers up front. The 98 and later 4x4s do anyway...

Reply to
Mike Levy

What i was getting at was double pistons means larget pads . Drums have a lot more service area of shoe then disc pads have.

Reply to
Randd01

"shiden_kai" wrote in message news:jls2d.447551$gE.98645@pd7tw3no...

Reply to
One-Shot Scot

The problem is this. They will literally last forever "IF" the owner takes care of them. This means greasing the slides. The pads are like 1" thick and the rotors are so beefy I can't see them EVER being too thin to turn.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

How can they die in the mud? You can't find a quad with drum brakes for the life of you.....! Why don't front drums die in the mud?

GMC Greml> > Is this item in regard to the 2005 Silverado a mistake?:

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Oh... and even when the rear drums in my 1990 GMC Jimmy are working "properly" if I get them muddy they no longer do...

GMC Greml> > Is this item in regard to the 2005 Silverado a mistake?:

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Suppose I should clarify that too "NEW" quads.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

They don't "die". You may be thinking of drum brakes that don't work when you go through water. In this instance, I'll give the disc brakes the nod. But because of the clearance issues between the caliper and rear rims, the position of the caliper (front of the rotor)..etc..the rear disc brakes have a tendancy for the banjo bolt that holds the brake line to the caliper to loosen up...the rocks and crap that get between the caliper and rim can either damage the rim/caliper, or get into the caliper and pad area and cause premature wear on the pads. Sorry, we see it all the time and have to repair them. We have two options for off road trucks, we install a pair of mud guards "in front of the rear wheels" and/or special shields that bolt onto the rear calipers and they help deflect crap away from the caliper area.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ah...we have a comedian. Definitely a humorous paragraph....but by no means an intelligent paragraph.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I see it on the Ford Trucks with Disc brakes in the Rear. The left rear side the Caliper is on the front and has a Shield, and right rear is mounted in the back with No shield on the F250 Super Duty trucks. The Rear Brakes hold up quite well! Even with lots of Caked on mud/Dirt on these over loaded Work trucks I see. I think if Chevy did the same type of thing by Installing a Shield around the Caliper to help block some of the Crap it would be a better way to go then switching over to drum brakes once again.

Of course there could be the other reason of the Parking Brake having a lot of problems on the trucks. It's still using a single large round shoe back there. The Parking Brake never feels that firm like most people are used to. It ends up getting left on and driven around on until it starts grinding away. I've replaced quite a few for something that should hardly ever need to be replaced as it doesn't get used except when the truck is at a dead stop.

Reply to
JBDragon

I know GM has made calipers in the past where the ebrake engaged the normal pistons. I believe they were on Cadillacs, but a quick search on

would tell you. Mine is on it's way!!!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

'Snicker'

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

All of the 90 to 94 GM W body cars had e-brakes like that. They were a pain in the butt.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

First off, "emergency" brakes have no use outside of the manual transmission world. None. Second: "In 76-78 Cadillac Elderado's ran 4 wheel disc and the rear calipers have a parking brake provision. "

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin