2WD truck in snow country

Anybody else dumb enough have a half-ton 2WD pickup in Minnesota, Wisconsin, U.P., Dakotas, etc? How much weight do you put in the back so you can actually take off from a stop at an unsanded traffic light up a slight hill? Or drive on an unplowed street with several inches of wet snow? First I tried filling the bed of my Silverado with ice and snow, but that wasn't heavy enough, plus then the bed is unusable.

I put skinny tires on a year ago and that really helps. Even without added weight I'm /usually/ OK on just snow. But icy roads are a real bitch.

A couple of days ago I put 320# in the back, *behind* the rear axle so it also takes a little weight off the front axle and shifts it to the back. Four bags of cheap concrete mix. It seems to help quite a bit; I just wonder if I should stack 2 more bags back there.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I have a friend who has a 90 F150. He lives in the hills so there are no plows. He uses 5 60LB bags of sand. These bags are in 3 foot long tubes not made of paper but from woven nylon. He lays them by the gate, not over the axle. He also has a large cap that adds weight. Toss on 4 mud tires and there aren't many places he can't go.

I own a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Short Bed 2WD it's nearly in mint condition I'm the only owner. It has street tires for a quite and comfortable ride. It never goes out in the snow. Also own a 1985 Jeep CJ7 Laredo that is nearly stock, 6cyl bigger rims and mud/snow tires. That's my winter vehicle and it's never been stuck.

Reply to
A. Baum

Over 30 years ago, when I lived in snow country, I used to buy 50lb bags of salt. Put them in the back of my van, and had no problems. Used the salt to help when I did get stuck, or if someone else needed it. I liked the salt better than the sand, because it worked better for me.

Reply to
bilb2765

That's fine as long as the salt doesn't leak into your bed or you have you bed coated like a Rhino bed. Otherwise you'll start corrosion and ruing the back end of your truck.

Reply to
Teredo

A lot of people around here put a tube of sand over each rear wheel. I bought those one year and the sun and weather ate up the plastic and they split. I *think* these paper bags of concrete mix will absorb moisture from the snow and set-up (I know it wont set up very strong) and I can use them again next year. I stacked 2 on each side of the bed behind the tire wells. If I get in a wreck, they shouldn't come flying thru the back window like concrete block might. If I get stuck, but not too stuck, I can put the gate down and stack them on that to take more weight off the front and put it on the back.

That's the theory anyway. :-) If I had a little more faith in it, I'd slice the bags open, mix in some water, and duct-tape them back up.

When I had an old rust-bucket Chevy C20, I carried about 3000 lb of firewood around with me in the winter. (well, it started out about

3000, by spring I had burned most of it)

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I think you get a little more weight if the tubes are back behind the axle as far as they can go. It's a leverage thing. Just think of it as if the truck had a long enough bed you could push down and life the front off the ground like a teeter totter.

Reply to
A. Baum

That's why I put the weight behind the rear axle. The bags are stacked lengthwise against the sides all the way at the back against the tailgate (because they are out of the way stacked that direction.) I could move them a little farther back by putting them crosswise. Or by lowering the gate and stacking them on it but I'm not sure that's a good idea -- what if a support cable broke while I was on the highway. ==(8-O

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Yeah no need to put them on the tail gate. Parallel to the tailgate is as far back as you need for safety's sake. If you feel you need more add some more bags. I have a friend who collects trash in a F450 Ford. I think he uses around 500LB. He's out in the sticks so he has to deal with a lot of snow and ice and hilly terrain. I mentioned to him that he should move his weight back and he said it does make a little difference when he's empty.

Reply to
Teredo

I should probably let some air out of the tires too for a better footprint. Currently running 60 in the front and 55 in the back. (215/85/16D's) Maybe drop it to 45 lbs all around.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob