Rangers on snow

Just a report. Got snow this morning in the PACNW. Almost a foot. Cars and SUV's everywhere in the ditch.

My Ranger did just fine, although "Gus" wanted to throw his ass end out at every turn, he still got me to my place of work in one piece.

Anyway, I'm writing this post to see how others handle the rather light rear end found on Ranger pickups in snow. Personally, I've secured a couple concrete blocks in the bed over the axle, and that seems to help.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

Olds 350 Diesel heads

one behind each wheel-well

drill a 1/2 inch hole thru the bed and secure it with a 1/2 x 8 bolt, nut and lock washer

My Ranger did just fine, although "Gus" wanted to throw his ass end out at every turn, he still got me to my place of work in one piece.

Anyway, I'm writing this post to see how others handle the rather light rear end found on Ranger pickups in snow. Personally, I've secured a couple concrete blocks in the bed over the axle, and that seems to help.

Plasyd

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

My Ranger did just fine, although "Gus" wanted to throw his ass end out at every turn, he still got me to my place of work in one piece.

Anyway, I'm writing this post to see how others handle the rather light rear end found on Ranger pickups in snow. Personally, I've secured a couple concrete blocks in the bed over the axle, and that seems to help.

Plasyd

Reply to
Knight

I bought at 4x4 Bronco II. I thought that would be safer and a better investment than my 2WD F-150. When the snow actually sticks to the ground, in a few weeks, I find out just how well it does. (it's supposed to be in the upper 50's this next week; I'm not complaining!)

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

SUV's everywhere in the ditch.

every turn, he still got me to my place of work in one piece.

end found on Ranger pickups in snow. Personally, I've secured a couple concrete blocks in the bed over the axle, and that seems to help.

If it's a 4x4, use it! Otherwise, my ex and I had real good luck with some filled sandbags and a set of studded tires on her 2wd Ranger.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4 96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion (which I'd rather drive any day in the snow compared to the F-250!)
Reply to
Matt Mead

SUV's everywhere in the ditch.

every turn, he still got me to my place of work in one piece.

end found on Ranger pickups in snow. Personally, I've secured a couple concrete blocks in the bed over the axle, and that seems to help.

I leave the Ranger parked and drive the Civic (w/Michelin snow tires).

Okay, that's dishonest of me, because this will be my first winter with the Ranger; I'll use it if the snow is over 6" deep, with some weight in the rear and 4x engaged . We'll see how it goes.

bw

Reply to
bdubya

Be careful what you use for weight. You do not want something which acts as a projectile, or guillotine, if you get rear-ended or you stop very, very sudenly.

Bags of sand are safe.

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth

It goes sideways, and is called a four-wheel drift.

Caveat

Reply to
Caveat

My Ranger did just fine, although "Gus" wanted to throw his ass end out at every turn, he still got me to my place of work in one piece.

Anyway, I'm writing this post to see how others handle the rather light rear end found on Ranger pickups in snow. Personally, I've secured a couple concrete blocks in the bed over the axle, and that seems to help.

Plasyd

Reply to
mikl

(cue banjo pickin').....Yeeee-HAW!! Much more entertaining than fwd understeer.

bw

Reply to
bdubya

Yeah, I really hate it when you turn the steering wheel and it just keep plowing on straight ahead...

Reply to
Caveat

Better to stick with sand, the salt can be a real nasty thing on the sheetmetal if you don't have a bed liner!

L8R, Jeff

My Ranger did just fine, although "Gus" wanted to throw his ass end out at every turn, he still got me to my place of work in one piece.

Anyway, I'm writing this post to see how others handle the rather light rear end found on Ranger pickups in snow. Personally, I've secured a couple concrete blocks in the bed over the axle, and that seems to help.

Plasyd

Reply to
Hawk

When I had my 4x4 Ranger, I put a few hundred pounds of firewood in the bed. I once drove to work like that (about 10 miles) in 30" of powdery snow without any problems.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J

My Ranger did just fine, although "Gus" wanted to throw his ass end out at every turn, he still got me to my place of work in one piece.

Anyway, I'm writing this post to see how others handle the rather light rear end found on Ranger pickups in snow. Personally, I've secured a couple concrete blocks in the bed over the axle, and that seems to help.

Plasyd

I have four 5 gallon buckets filled with sand. My 97 Ranger is the worst vehicle I've ever owned for driving in snow (central Connecticut).

Reply to
Lee K

We received 22" overnight a few years ago and one of our guys was stranded at work (we live in North Carolina). I drove ~30 miles round trip to check on him, with only snow weight in the rear end. I didn't have any problems.

Reply to
McQualude

You would do better by placing the buckets against the tailgate instead of over the axle. This will transfer some of the front axle load to the rear axle for even more traction.

Reply to
Rob Munach

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 05:43:30 +0000, McQualude rearranged some electrons to form:

Except leaking oil.

Reply to
David M

LOL. Maybe, but more than that, the oil turns invisible!

Reply to
McQualude

BTDT. Nothing like getting stuck in sand and opening the tail gate and piling it down with rocks and sand, then letting some air out of the tires for an enjoyable after noon work out. ;)

Incase you didn't see the other thread about raising the front end on an F350 I did something kinda nutty and put 322 pounds of lead and hardware inside my rear bumper which took 120 pounds off the front tires and added 442 pounds to the rear tires all with only 322 pounds addd to the right spot.

Nutty or not, I really like it! :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj