87 GMC guages problem

I have an 87 GMC Sierra that whenever I turn the dash lights on, the gas gauge goes to empty. So far I have taken the whole instrument cluster apart and cleaned all the contacts and checked all connections to the dash lights and gas gauge. I am thinking the problem is not anywhere in the instrument cluster but not sure where to start. If anyone out there has any ideas it would be much appreciated. Please post responses to the newsgroup.