'91 Burb 700R4/4L60 problem

The other night I managed to get the burb stuck turning around in someone's driveway (waits for laughter to subside). I got a buddy of mine to winch me out, but now there is a grinding noise coming from the tranny, but it's intermediate. It's pretty loud when I take off, but if i suddenly let off the gas for a second and then press down again the grinding noise goes away. I believe I somehow made the tranny shift when the burb bottomed out and its moving slightly as i drive. How many mounts are on the tranny and how hard are they to get to? I can see the large one that's just in front of the driveshaft, but nothing else. I know it's moving around as there are severeal fresh scrape marks above the tranny, not far from where it bolts onto the bell housing. Please help as this is driving me nuts.

Reply to
big.drizzt

The tranny mount is easy to change, one bolt to cross member, two bolts to the tranny tail shaft. support tranny at back of pan with wood blocks on floor jack just in front of crossmember. I would take a strong look at the engine motor mounts if you are seeing marking in the bell housing area of the tranny tunnel. Those mounts can allow the cooling fan to contact the fan shroud which could be what you are hearing. Considering age of vehicle I would change them all, its due.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning