96 S-10 chevy air problem,parts location

I have a 96 Chevy S-10. The AC compressor is not coming on. There is no battery at the compressor clutch. Fuse is good. Anyone know the location of the "ac compressor clutch relay" and or the "pressure cutout switches" ??? There are three relays in the glove box and three on the firewall.Thanks............

Reply to
rb

prolly not a relay....try bypassing low pressure switch on the accumulator. Large can looking thingy on the pass side close to the firewall. If that kicks it in, its most likely low of freon. I will not recommend to you to fill it yourself. If you don't know what your doing it can be dangerous. If you must try it read the instructions carefully on that piece of crap hose/can thing you buy. :)

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

if you bypassed the low pressure switch the freon very well could be ok.

see if you can follow the wires from the clutch, note the color, the high pressure switch is either in the compressor or in the high side line(smaller line). look at autozone.com they have component locations on their site. you can use a 12v test light to check for voltage along the circuit. I don't remember for sure but I think your truck has to be running for the clutch to kick on. The switch will tell the computer you want the air on, and the computer will turn it on thru a relay under normal conditions(like not overheating or WOT...)You might need to get a book with a wiring diagram and component locations.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Thanks Shoesalesman! I'll try the library tomorrow.

Reply to
rb