'97 Chevy S10 acceleration challenge

I have a great Chevy S10 truck (ext. cab, 4 cyl, automatic transmission with overdrive, air conditioning) with one little annoying wrinkle.. When the air conditioning is on, the acceleration suddenly and noticeably backs off when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd! I don't notice the engine race like you would expect with a true transmission slip but the acceleration DOES notably back off until the shift to 2nd. This does not happen when the air conditioning is off! I had one of the local Chevy service writers drive with me one morning last week and he suggested that this was normal. He suggested that the air conditioning compressor was cycling/backing off during the acceleration and that was causing the acceleration issue. I would think that if the compressor is backing off during acceleration that in fact the truck should not back off but get more horse power (what he said sounds "bass backwards" to me). What is wrong with this picture??? Can someone tell me what they think is going on here?

Thanks!

P.S. If this helps, I believe this backoff is more noticeable in the hot afternoon.

Reply to
countryside

[...]

I am surprised you can even acclerate with the A/C on with a S-10 4-banger with an automatic. The A/C sucks power out of every vehicle, it's just more noticable in gutless vehicles.

Reply to
Xavier

I know exactly what you mean but it is the consistent and characteristic way it appears in the shifting from 1st to 2nd that troubles me. If it was just sheer lack of performance all around with the air on then I would agree 100% with you. But I feel this is something else.

Reply to
countryside

Try a transmission kit change, along with the fluid. ( Also a coolant flush,later) Keep engine cool.

Reply to
4645

my gutless 4 banger auto with air is slow on getting off, but have no problem in driving on the small uphills here in Louisiana... it won't make the quarter is 6 sec , but will satisly all but the most demanding Sure a 409 might be better but ---- you probably have your mind made up\\

Reply to
Jim