97 Tahoe Brake ?

Hello Group, We have a 97 Tahoe and the anti-lock brakes are acting up on dry pavement ... whether your easy or a little hard on them...any ideas? the Local Dealership said it could be a bearing sensor or something??? Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Perkins JustaBenz

"Bob Perkins JustaBenz" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3132.bay.webtv.net...

Its called a wheel speed sensor, and yes that is most likely the problem.

Reply to
Scott M

You will find that one of the front wheel speed sensors is losing it's signal when you get down to around the 5-10 mile an hour range. There is a bulletin out that addresses this problem, (note: bulletin does not mean that you get anything fixed for free, it's simply info for the techs.) and the fix can be as simple as removing the sensor from the hub and cleaning the mounting surface where the sensor bolts into the wheel bearing hub. I've also seen loose wheel bearings that will cause the same problem. In that case, you replace the wheel bearing assembly, which will come with a new sensor attached. This can be fairly pricey.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks a Million ! Where is this sensor and how would I clean it? The dealership said something about $133 a sensor ...does that sound right? Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
Bob Perkins JustaBenz

Sounds about right. The sensor is bolted to the front wheel bearing assembly. You need to remove the front rotors in order to see and access the sensor. The wiring harness for the sensor will be clipped to the upper control arm, so you can just follow that back to the sensor. The bolt that holds the sensor in..is an allen type. Sorry, can't remember what size it is.

First check the wheel bearings to make sure you have no play in the wheel. Jack the wheels up off the ground and pull on the wheel at the top and bottom. If there is no play on either side, then pull the caliper and rotor off, take out the sensor, and clean up the mounting area until you are down to bare metal. Put a little bit of grease on the mounting area, install the sensor back in....and see if the problem goes away. If not, I would definitely have it scanned to pinpoint which sensor is bad. No point in just haphazardly throwing parts at the thing. If the vehicle happens to pull to one side while the ABS is activating, this will give you a pretty strong clue as to which sensor is defective. If the vehicle pulls left, this indicates the right sensor is faulty...etc. Because the ABS system is releasing the brake on the faulty sensor side, often the vehicle will pull towards the good side, as all the braking is occuring on that side. Note: not all the vehicles pull all the time when this fault occurs. Hope this helps.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks I printed that and I'll see what happens and let ya know. I put new rotors and pads on the front earlier this years so I'll give er a shot... Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Perkins JustaBenz