98 tahoe water pump

Hello all, I have a 98 Tahoe 5.7 and the water pump is leaking out of the weep hole. Question is, besides the belt fan and clutch, and radiator shroud does anything else need to be removed to get to it and replace it. At quick glance it looks almost like the A/C and alternator brackets need to be removed/moved to get the pump out. Also is it still rule of thumb to change the timing chain at the same time?? Any procedures, write ups or advice, tips tricks, unknown pita issues would be very appreciated as its leaking more every day. I need to make this as easy and quick as possible.. Thanks Tony snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Rokihora

I think the original poster was referring to the "rule of thumb" on engines with a timing belt (not chain), in which it makes good sense to replace the water pump at the same time as you replace the timing belt. On an engine with a timing chain, like his GM 5.7, there is no need to replace the timing chain, unless it is making a lot of noise. I have seen timing chains go over 200k with no problems. He should just replace the water pump. It has been awhile since I worked on a 5.7, so I do not know if he needs to remove any other equipment to get at the water pump, but generally speaking, it is an easy job, just takes a while. Steve

Reply to
sf/gf

No, you don't need to remove those brackets. The job is fairly straight forward, remove the upper shroud (contrary to what another poster says, I think that removing seven screws and getting the upper shroud out of the way "saves" time), remove the fan, and then other then disconnecting the appropriate bypass/heater hoses and rad hoses (by the way, the bypass hose is quite difficult to remove from the water pump while the water pump is still attached, so my advice is to disconnect the bypass hose from the "intake" end of it.) All you are left with at this point is 4 bolts. I will admit that it seems quite "tight" in there with the brackets in place, but you can remove and install the pump with them in place. I would also recommend that you use some sort of contact cement to hold the water pump gaskets in place on the water pump....put your four bolts in place in the water pump....have your 9/16" socket and extension ready so that you can move the water pump right up to the block and then start the four bolts. At this point, you will be working almost blind, but if you have the gaskets securely glued in place, there is little change that they will go sideways on you.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I agree with Ian, only remove the upper shroud. Do not remove any brackets. Remove lower radiator hose, 1 heater hose, 1 bypass hose. The fan clutch is a regular right hand thread. Remove pulley with 4 10mm bolts. Remove the 4

9/16 bolts and the pump comes right off. Remember to scrape all the gasket off the block before installing. I use a razor blade and it will be difficult to see where your scraping but be sure you have every bit of old gasket off. Install as Ian said. No need to replace the timing chain unless there is a problem.
Reply to
Jay

Thanks Ian and everyone, One last question, to remove the fan and cluch together there is 1 large "nut" between the clutch and the pully. I assume this is the right hand thread you speak of.. Looks like its about 1 3/8th in size??? Is that the proper part to separate the fan from the pump..Anyone know of the exact size so I can have the proper wrench available, since it is quite large???,,, and when trying to break it free does the belt and crank keep it secure or do you have to hold it some other way to keep the whole assembly from spinning??? Thanks again Tony

Reply to
Rokihora