water pump question

I have a 96 Chevy Tahoe 4x4, 5.7 V8. There is coolant leaking out from what looks like the area in front of the oil pan near the fan belt. It only leaks when the engine is hot and sometimes leaks a little coolant and sometimes leaks a lot. I was told this was a sign the water pump was going bad. If so is this an easy thing to replace? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to
Foster McLean

Replacing the water pump on my 91 5.7 was one of the easiest repairs I have ever done on a car. Essentially 4 bolts and your there.

Reply to
Ihatespam

On Sat, 01 May 2004 21:20:58 GMT, "Foster McLean" said while waiving his hands wildly:

It's an easy repair, but be VERY careful when removing it that it doesnt " bump" into the radiator. Like, break the gaskets loose WITH the bolts still in place. The radiator fins are VERY easily damaged. It doesnt take much, like a rachet handle, or anything, and you will have a leak.

]I have a 96 Chevy Tahoe 4x4, 5.7 V8. There is coolant leaking out from what ]looks like the area in front of the oil pan near the fan belt. It only ]leaks when the engine is hot and sometimes leaks a little coolant and ]sometimes leaks a lot. I was told this was a sign the water pump was going ]bad. If so is this an easy thing to replace? Any thoughts would be ]appreciated. ]

Reply to
Phillip