99 S-10 tailgate cable

One of the tailgate cables broke and I can't figure out how to remove the bottom piece from the latch assembly. I removed the two screws holding the assembly to the tailgate but It would only come out a couple of inches. Has anyone replaced a cable on this type truck and does the whole assembly have to be replaced with the cable? Thanks.

Reply to
jerry

Were these Cables included in The SAFETY RECALL Gm did a few months back.. or was that recall for the large trucks ONLY ?

Reply to
no one

That recall was only on the full-size.

The latchplate on the tailgate needs to come off, should come as a unit with the new straps..

Reply to
Mike Levy

Thanks for info. I think I'll wait to see if there's a recall for for the S-10 in the near future.

Reply to
jerry

The only way u are going to see a REcall is if People like you write to the Product safety people and register your complaint..

Donnot wait for the NEXT guy to do it.. It cost u nothing to report it . But Save the cable, They may want u to send it to them!

Reply to
no one