Acceleration problem-1989 Chevy 350

Truck is a 1989 ¾ ton with 350 engine. Truck starts fine. Runs good if I accelerate slowly. If I push the pedal down too fast, the engine bogs down. If I let up on pedal, it will smooth out and run fine again. I changed plugs, rotor, and cap. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Chief McGee

fuel filter would be my next choice. (a very- often -forgotten- item that is cheap too) If it is a jerky kind of miss, plug wires.....

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Catalytic converter.. I had an 89 Celebrity that did the same thing. If I feathered the throttle I could get up to about 50. If I just mashed the throttle, the motor would fall on it's face. Sometimes it would stall. It was really strange, I could get up to 30 MPH, and try to accellerate, it would downshift, but would slow down. KenG

Reply to
KENG

Thats a possibility but he said it runs fine otherwise. A cat plugged that badly (like yours was) and the thing would only go 50 isn't in the "run fine" category. But.....hmmm....

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

I changed the fuel filter. That fixed it. Thanks for the help. Chief Mcgee

Reply to
Chief McGee

Thanks for letting us know what the answer was to the problem. I wish more people would do this.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M