adjustable brake proportioner?

I've got an older GMC P/U "custom camper".If it has no camper or other load the rear wheels tend to lock up real easily when braking.With a heavy load the brakes seem very good.I would imagine that this condition exists with a lot of pick-ups but my local parts stores don't have any kind of adjustable proportioning valve.One guy told me that Ford Motor Sports has one for racing,but I doubt this would be affordable or necessary.Due to the nature of my work I might have an empty bed one day and 2 tons the next,but 75% of the time it's empty and I'm losing tread on my rear tires. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Brian Orion

Adj. Prop valves are easy to find in most HP parts shops. Both lever style and dial type. Or you could adapt the height sensing valve off a newer style truck to yours, that is what they do, adjust the brake proportions based on the amount of weight in the box.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hurst makes one:

It's also fairly cheap!

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks,just found one for$70.at PAW

Reply to
Brian Orion

Many "older" GM pickups already have a valve to prevent this. Look on the back side of the rear end. There is a valve with what appears to be a steel wire going up to the frame. The brake lines to the rear brakes pass through it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Many "older" GM pickups already have a valve to prevent this. Look on the back side of the rear end. There is a valve with what appears to be a steel wire going up to the frame. The brake lines to the rear brakes pass through it. Al

Thanks Al,I should have mentioned that it's a 1969 model.But with this info I'll go look in the junk yard for such a unit.Should save some$.

Reply to
Brian Orion