How much does a RR classic 3.5 Efi weigh?

Anyone know the kerb weight of a 3.5 Efi classic RR?

Thanks Alex

Reply to
Alex Stewart

The book for a 1988 says:

4 dr manual 1927 kg 4 dr auto 1971 kg
Reply to
Dougal

Dammit. With a 2 axle trailer under it, it's gonna be quite a bit over the 1800kg which my motor is supposed to be able to pull. Wonder if I can risk it...

Alex

Reply to
Alex Stewart

What you need is a nice person with a large 4x4 to tow it say ... a Landrover where from and too?

Derek

Reply to
Derek

In that situation, empty the fuel tank and throw away the driver! You want the unladen weight:

4 dr manual 1792 kg 4 dr auto 1836 kg

Naturally that doesn't make enough difference!

Forgetting any legalities, it's rather a matter of perception of what the combination looks like, how far you intend to travel and where all this is to happen.

If it looks like a RR on a large trailer behind an Escort - yes, I'd think again.

Reply to
Dougal

It's not the pull that's the problem so much as the stop. When you've a trailer loaded like that like that it's nice for you to be in control rather than t'other way about. Personally I wouldn't risk it, having been in the ditch in a 90 with a Disco on trailer behind, mind you that was down to tyre pressure or lack of it on the trailer.

Reply to
GbH

On or around Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:37:35 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

The usual favourite is ineffective trailer brakes.

Alex: what motor?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Morph was delivered on a triple axle trailer towed behind a Disco.

I know which was in control.

Hard earned not exchanged till it was off the trailer!

Mad as a box of frogs.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It's not the ability to control the trailer that I'm worried about, it's getting stopped by the pigs and being done I'm worried about.

The towing vehicle would be a Vauxhall Senator 3.0 24v. It has more than enough pulling power and brakes enough to stop too.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Stewart

And far from enough mass to control a trailer loaded at double the SWL of the Vauxhall should anything cause you to deviate from a straight line. Unless Traffic have recruited Stevie Wonder or taken a holiday you may as well send your licence in now on the off chance you pass a patrol car - seriously unless you are travelling a few hundred yards slowly don't put yourself and others at risk. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Interesting you should think that when I run a recovery truck which has a kerb weight of 1700kg but is rated to pull 3500kg behind it.

Reply to
Alex Stewart

But not enough if 2tonnes+ of Rangie decides it wants to go on! Its brakes on the trailer you need and enough mass in your tow vehicle to operate them, with only 1800kg you ain't got enough!!

Reply to
GbH

yep the SWL doesnt' necessarily directly relate to 83% of the kerbside weight as it doesnt in the case of Land Rovers 2250 ksw tows 3500kg but would you really tow 3500kg without a load on the bed I certainly wouldn't want to tow 4000kg behind my DAF with no load on board Yet it is rated at

11,500kg train weight first corner at even modest speed and the back axle would be losing grip damm it does that in the wet empty I would be happier with a couple of tons of load holding her steady. Academic really the towing weight the senator/ omega is 1750kg is it not? can't you use the recovery truck then at least you would be closer to the SWL ? ( assuming the max load is 3500kg ) Derek
Reply to
Derek

Why the questions then? Why not use the truck?

Where's it coming from & going to? I'd guess there's many in the group who'd help out for petrol/diesel cost and a few beer tokens.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Do I sense an impending delay in collecting your new toy from me next weekend??

Richard :-)

Reply to
Richard

No, you don't. I'm just trying to make up my mind which is easier....

Alex

Reply to
Alex Stewart

The budget is nil, otherwise I'd get somebody to deliver it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Stewart

Towing weight of the Senator 3.0 24v is 1800kg. 1700kg for a 3.0

12v. GVW is a shade over 2000kg.

The recovery truck is nasty to drive, noisy, uncomfortable and will use more fuel. Also will probably only be able to maintain

45-50mph with a 2ton load. Senator will quite happily maintain 90mph with a Mini towed behind on an A-frame. (Don't ask)

Alex

Reply to
Alex Stewart

Scrub that, I know which is easier, I'm just wondering wether to risk it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Stewart

On or around Mon, 14 Apr 2008 00:20:21 +0100, Alex Stewart enlightened us thusly:

provided you take it easy, you should be OK with the senator. However, be aware that you shouldn't exceed 50, and make damned sure the trailer brakes are in good condition.

The manufacturer's towing weight is not AFAIK a legally binding thing on passenger cars the same way as it is on a plated commercial, but it will be used as a means of not paying by the insurers if anything goes wrong - they'll say "OK, you were towing 3.1 tonnes with a car that's recommended to tow 1800Kg, you were being negligent, tough shit"

is it an auto? sometimes that's the reason for lower towing limits.

Reply to
Austin Shackles