after mrkt power windows

I have a 1955 first series chevy truck that has power windows there are only two wires coming from the window motor. i'm assuming one is hot and one ground. my question is on the switch I have there are 3 prongs ," universal switch from the parts store", I put an e-z wiring 24 circuit 12 volt harness on the truck, so there is a dedicated wire for power. What is the correct way to wire the switch? One of the three post on the back of the switch is brass looking and longer than the other two. is that ground? Thanks for any help on this!

Reply to
bagpiper1

NO! no "ground" the motor has to have the polarity reversed to change direction(window up or down). you can use 2 relays to do it or a switch made to do it (yous is not) You best bet would probably be to google "wiring power window switch" or something like that. just fyi, power door lock motors work the same way so if you find a diagram for that it will work too. The relays are nothing special and a VERY common. your switch will probably work with this setup.

In this example IGNORE the door lock switch in the diagram, use the wires labeled "to unlock" and "to lock" from alarm. Your switch will probably work if you ground the one terminal that you said is longer and hook the others to the lock/unlock wires in the pic. p.s., you should not pay more than about $5 each for the relays, unless you want to buy them with a harness. you could go to a car alarm/audio shop and get a kit.

ShoeSalesman

The two wires are NOT power/ground. When those wires are connected to power and ground, the motor will turn one direction (say UP) reverse them and the motor will reverse direction (say DOWN).

Steve W.