Re: Does anybody still...

"Whitelightning" wrote in

> Sadly Mercury probably won't be on my next boat. They go fast, but just > > don't hold up as well as the Evinrudes I've had. One ate a powerhead > > already. To Mercury's credit the replaced it quickly with no headaches. > > I got a rude on mine, trying to talk Mama into a new Merc, tired of carb > problems.

Getting OT here, but carb problems are universal on any outboard that doesn't see much use. I've got two carbed Mercs and I've owned two fuel injected Mercs. The fuelies never had any problems with fuel systems. The carbed motors need to have the carbs drained or the engines run atleast every couple weeks. Same with Evinrudes. I was referring to more serious issues.

Another thing I had a Merc tech tell me. Even with only short periods of in activity you should park your boat with the carbed motor tilted down. If you store/park it with motor tilted up the carbs will tend to leak out a little bit leaving more air in carb causing fuel to evaporate faster and therefore gum up faster.

From everything I am hearing with current production motors the way to go is with an Evirude E-Tech HO. Power, reliability, long warranty, and virtually no break-in period needed.

P.S. The truth on that break-in period is if you run WOT for longer than would be recomedded on an engine with a normal breakin period the computer will cut power on you until you have more than X (not sure how many) hours on the motor. Its actually pretty cool. You can open her up for short periods as soon as you fire it up for short periods.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:451fd06c$0$19698$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com...

Maybe OT but many boat, so useful info. My biggest beef with the rude is the "epoxy" plugs in the fuel runs, you cant soak the damn things in cleaner. Granted its been awhile since I owned a Merc, my last one was a '59 75hp on a 18' Highlander runabout. The newest one in the family was a '73 on my grandfathers 16' molded plywood hull Dumphy runabout. I went into the service shortly after that and he retired while is was overseas, but the merc moved to his personal boat and he had it till he died. My favorite was the "green" merc tornado my grandfather hotrodded for me and put on a 12' hydroplane he built for me to race on lakes in the Adirondacks. He ran a small boat livery and had a mix of everything. The Johnsons were the hardest starting, the rudes had carb problems. He had a Chrysler 9.5 hp electrostrat on a 14' sears aluminum. Heck we even had a 40 hp Scott, that beast with a four blade prop on a 16' runabout would pull 4 adult skiers. The rude I have now is a 55 hp on a 16' customcraft bass boat, bought used. Nice platform to fish, very stable with kids on board, lakes here are small so its adequate. Just the carbs are a constant aggravation. We "fog" them everytime its put up, which has helped a lot, but we never wait to get to the lake to fire her up, its embarrassing to be dockside and the damn thing wont start, or starts and then wont barely run more than an idle. On the store/park, every manufacturer recommended long storage or parking engines stored level, not tilted up. The next engine will be fuelly, and black motors rev higher ;)

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I got a black motor (2004 225 Optimax (not XS)) and it revs to about 5800. Any higher and it shuts off. Its my understanding that the XS and HO will both turn safely over 6500, but so will the Yamaha HPDI.

Reply to
Bob La Londe