Airconditioner Clutch on 93 Chevy Full Size Van.

The Air Conditioner pulley is making a gosh-awful noise.

I was told at the parts house the clutch & pulley were available and could be replaced without bringing the system down.

The compressor is where I can get to it okay. The shaft is threaded, but no nut- -that I can see. (was there oncea nut, and it is lost off ?????or is it reverse threaded and the clutch housing threaded??)

I looked in Chiltons, and all they say is take it to an expert.

It is on a 93 Chevy V6 w/4.3L engine.

Any help with this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks Rogerx

Reply to
Roger"X"

Actually shims are not used to adjust the clutch plate. It is a press fit onto the shaft with a keyway. The clutch is just pressed onto the shaft until the proper gap is achieved. Special pullers/installers are required to replace the clutch plate and pulley or

the internal components could be damaged.

Les

Hank wrote:

Reply to
les

What he said. The tools can be rented for free (refundable deposit) at most auto part stores. When they look up the clutch, they can tell you which tools it takes. Instructions for using the tool are a different matter. You might try the public library, many have much better books than Chilton and will cover the procedure. The auto parts store MIGHT have another tool new in box in the back they can get the instruction manual out of. IIRC, for that year the puller simple screws into the threads on the clutch. There is a bolt down the middle of the puller that you then tighten to get the clutch off. But I'd check another source to be sure.

Reply to
John Alt

You said it makes noise,. If it makes the noise with the ac off it is most likely just the pulley bearing(about $20) You dont have to buy the whole clutch and pulley. Once you get the cluth off(see above) you remove the large snap ring that holds the pulley on. You can TAP it off gently after the snap ring removal. I like to put pressure on one side of the pulley (by gently prying against the compressor) with a large screw driver and gently tapping the other side with a hammer to slide it off. You will then see the bearing in the pulley. It will be it there very tight most likely (sometimes peaned in) so you need to put it on a flat hard surface and beat it out. Once you move it about a 1/4 inch, the rest of the way is easy. Take the bearing with you to get the right one, there are different widths for the different compressors. Be carefull installing the new bearing. Only hit it on the outer race or you will ruin it. Good luck.

Reply to
Scott M

My kit from GM came with shims the shape of the shaft cross section including the keyway.

It still on there running fine, three years and counting.

plate and pulley or

Reply to
Hank