Americans Don't Love Trucks Anymore

"By any measure, March was a lousy month for the car business. But for Detroit, it was truly dreadful.

Pickup trucks are taking a real beating. The combination of high fuel prices and the housing market is hammering sales of Detroit's best-selling vehicle ? the large pickup..."

Business Week article:

Dave U.Random

Hmmm. I still "love" them. I've got three. They may not be the best business decision for some folks, but I'd have a hard time hauling three dirt bikes around in a Prius.

Full size Chevy with a small V8 and I can get ~20 on the road if I'm being conscious of it.

Yes, I can't wait until it gets back down around $2.00 or so, but I'll just bag one or two long trips this year and stay a little closer to home. Works out for everyone.

Reply to
scrape

That would be nice. But I don't see the price of gas going down.

Reply to
4546

You'll NEVER see gas for under $3 ever again, at least here in California, but I'm sure it'll be the same most everywhere else also. I'd bet you you'll be lucky to see under $4 next year. Oil has been skyrocketing and it's not even the Summer High Demand time YET! I still Remember back when I was first driving back in 86 I guess and could still find cheap gas for under $1 a gallon. So for all those year before that time up to that point, it went from what 10 cents or something to $1. Say 50 years. Since then in 22 years it's jumped to around $3.50. That's more then triple and it's only been in the last few years that it's greatly jumped. It's not going to get better at all.

You have the Eco wacko's that won't let companies drill oil here at home let alone build a new Refinery in like 20 years. Yet there's far more cars here in the US, Sky rocketing Car owners now in China that's buying up a lot of oil also that's causing the limited amount of oil out there to jump up. Supply & Demand. $2 or so a Gallon? HAHAHAHAHA Never again. I would not be surprised at all that in a couple more years, we'll be looking at $5 a Gallon and thinking that's cheap. Gas prices should have dropped a lot during the winter. Did it? NO. It barely dropped at all. Again today a barrel of oil reached a all time high of $112 I believe. It's NOT going to go down, it's only going to go UP and UP and UP!

Reply to
JBDragon

Look into *why* it's going up. Hint: it's not the evil oil companies.

Reply to
scrape

The eco freaks and the global warmers , sky is falling morons are happy the price is high. They want us all on bicycles and will get us there 'cuz we ain't got the guts to do anything about it. Maybe they all froze this winter...ha ha ha ha ha

Reply to
Pete

I never said it was the oil companies. In fact they make far less per gallon then what is Taxed on that Gallon of gas! When world prices of Crude Oil goes up, then the Gas prices are going to go up! When it's $60 for a Barrow of oil, Gas is cheap, when it jumps up to $112 for that same Barrow, the only thing for sure that's going to happen is Higher Gas prices. The Eco freaks don't want us drilling in our own back yard, so we have to IMPORT the oil. Gas isn't going to Magically pop out of thin air. Don't want any new Oil Refineries, then when one goes offline, Prices also Jump. It's really bad in places like California because we have the so called Special Gas and can't just import from another state when something happens. Gas price only have one way to go and that's UP! I know you all see when something minor happens and the prices skyrocket, and after time slowly go down over time, but never back to what they were. We'll never see gas for under $3 ever again. By Next year I'm guessing we'll never see gas under $4 ever again, or for a very short period of time.

Reply to
JBDragon

Actually they would rather have most of the human race GONE! Because Humans are evil. Forget the bicycles. Oh and most of these whack cases are in nice large homes running up huge electric and gas bills. Look at Al Gore. Huge Houses, a Electric bill for one month that more then most people's for a year, see him in his office with 3 Monitors for his computer, flying around in a Private gas guzzling jet. Him like others think they know what's good for us. No thanks.

Reply to
JBDragon

You still didn't look into *why* it goes up (or down).

Reply to
scrape

I just convinced two of my staff members - owning a Yukon XL and F150 - not to trade in their 'gas guzzling' trucks for some POS subcompact eco-unfriendly battery mobile like the prius or the volt.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Hmmm....could it be our President and the policy of devaluing the dollar (against which oil is bought and sold)?

Nah!

Reply to
PerfectReign

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:04:43 -0700, PerfectReign rearranged some electrons to say:

Before you trade in your Hummer for a Prius, read this:

david

That wasn't where I was heading, but it's closer than anything mentioned so far. The second half of your statement anyway. The first is diversionary.

Reply to
scrape

That is one of the most ridiculous articles I have ever read. The numbers only work if you assume your Hummer will last 300,000 miles and your Prius is junked after 100,000 miles.

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

It's the G damned speculators and the futures market.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Even if you factor in the Hummmer lasting a ridiculous 100,000 miles (which it can do in a few years easily) then the comparison is still not that bad.

Keep in mind that Toyota cars and trucks don't age well. IMO, they are the worst of the imports when it comes to aging gracefully. They tend to look old really quickly and tend to fall apart faster than cars from - say - Nissan or Honda or Mercedes or that Bavarian Motor Works company.

Let's not forget the utility. How much offroad driving can you do in a Prius? How are they at rock crawling or hauling a couple thousand pounds of crap up into the Sierras?

Reply to
PerfectReign

Americans Don't Love Trucks Anymore

Not true....What your seeing now is the market starting to revert back to the way it should be...People driving/buying truck who NEED trucks...Not the yuppie type who lives in a townhouse or condo and wants a truck to go to Home Depot to pick up light bulbs... The pick up sales are taking a beating because the industry has catered to the demand of the needless people, and now need to cut back production to what it should be for people who need trucks...I say good!! If you don't need a truck, then please don't buy one. If all the people who don't need trucks don't have them, they will save money and be happy, the demand/usage will drop off and prices of gas may come down and we'll all be happy...

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

I have a 2004 F-150 4x4 that I will be keeping. It gets fairly decent highway mpg and isn't anywhere near as bad as large sedans of the 60's and early 70's.

I had been looking at a 2008 F-250 4x4 turbo diesel, but after seeing diesel going for $0.90 more than the regular that my current truck uses, I think that I will stick with my truck and buy travel trailers that are within its pulling range. At $4.129, it would be a pain in the wallet to fill-up the F-250 with diesel.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Count yourself lucky - Where I live, diesel is $4.499 - 87oct gas is $3.399

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

I agree...

I used my 300M to haul lumber back and forth to our house to build a 110 foot long 6ft cedar privacy fence...boards, posts, concrete mix, pickets, etc. Granted it took a few more trips than a truck could have done...but it can be done with a little effort.

Mike

Reply to
Moparmaniac