Astro ECM Problem?

2002 Astro 4.6...Van running fine, decided to replace the 3 year old battery. Connected battery power to cig lighter to keep memory. Cleaned terminals somewhat (pretty clean). Won't start...turns over great and acts like it wants to start so I connected code reader but get error. Assumed a ECM fuse may have blown but checked every one I could find under hood and interior with none blown. Any idea what happened? I'm almost sick over this as everything was fine before I messed with it. Thanks
Reply to
JW

What code do you get from the reader?

Does the fuel pump cycle?

Is there fuel pressure?

Is there spark?

Are there any connectors near the battery terminals that might have popped loose?

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Disconnect the battery and don't do anything to try and "maintain" any other vehicle memory devices. Just let the power go away. Leave it for a few minutes.

I'm willing to bet that a voltage dip or sag occurred when you disconnected the battery and whatever was plugged into the cigarette lighter socket took over. This could throw the ECM into a confused state.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

just read your service manual,, lock the doors then open the drivers door with your key,,wow,,it will start

Reply to
Jeff Guenther

I disconnected the smaller battery cables to make sure they were OK and after reconnecting them, it was fine. The positive side connected directly to the underhood fuse panel that contains the ECM fuses so, I guess interrupting power to them was correct. Thanks, all.

Reply to
JW