Honda Accord wont start

I have a 97 Honda Accord LX 2.4. I?m having problems starting it. The problem started two days ago. Initially, I noticed the engine wasn?t turing over ?normally?, it seemed a little slow. Later in the night, it turned over extremely slow, almost as it the battery had no juice.

After poping the hood, I noticed an unusual amout of corrosion on both the battery post. I cleaned the post and cable terminals and the problem seemed to go away. Four or five hours later after the problem seemed to disapear(after cleaning the post), the engine would not turn over at all.

When trying to start, all dash lights would come on, radio, power windows would work, but the engine would not even attempt to turnover. There was no solinoid clicking, the starter just did nothing. The instument lights on the dash indicated the car was in gear (drive 4).

The battery, alternator, and starter tested fine. I replaced the battery cables, but the problem still persist.

I have not checked the fuses because sometimes it will start; I figure if a fuse is blown, then it wouldn?t start at all because the electricity wouldn?t flow.

I have read here that a master relay or some type of gear shift switch could cause this, but I know little about either. Nor do I know where to locate them or how to test them. Further more, if eighter of those two items were the root cause, would they manifest themselves as described above(with the slow engine turnover; slow crank).

Could the master relay or gear shift switch somehow allow a little power to flow like described above?

I?m running out of ideas here, all feedback would be appreciated.

Matt

Reply to
mugman21

=============================

Were you one of the 2.6 million Honda owners who got a new Ignition Switch during the recall a few years ago? Was it only doing the 'fail to start' after sitting overnight, or only when WARMED up inside? What's your mileage, BTW?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1

"motsco_ _" wrote: > mugman21 wrote: > > I have a 97 Honda Accord LX 2.4. I?m having problems > starting it. The > > problem started two days ago. Initially, I noticed the > engine wasn?t > > turing over ?normally?, it seemed a little slow. Later in > the night, > > it turned over extremely slow, almost as it the battery had > no juice. > > > > After poping the hood, I noticed an unusual amout of > corrosion on both > > the battery post. I cleaned the post and cable terminals and > the > > problem seemed to go away. Four or five hours later after > the problem > > seemed to disapear(after cleaning the post), the engine > would not turn > > over at all. > > > > When trying to start, all dash lights would come on, radio, > power > > windows would work, but the engine would not even attempt to > turnover. > > There was no solinoid clicking, the starter just did > nothing. The > > instument lights on the dash indicated the car was in gear > (drive 4). > > > > The battery, alternator, and starter tested fine. I replaced > the > > battery cables, but the problem still persist. > > > > I have not checked the fuses because sometimes it will > start; I figure > > if a fuse is blown, then it wouldn?t start at all because > the > > electricity wouldn?t flow. > > > > I have read here that a master relay or some type of gear > shift switch > > could cause this, but I know little about either. Nor do I > know where > > to locate them or how to test them. Further more, if eighter > of those > > two items were the root cause, would they manifest > themselves as > > described above(with the slow engine turnover; slow crank). > > > > Could the master relay or gear shift switch somehow allow a > little > > power to flow like described above? > > > > I?m running out of ideas here, all feedback would be > appreciated. > > > > Matt > > ============================= > > Were you one of the 2.6 million Honda owners who got a new > Ignition > Switch during the recall a few years ago? Was it only doing > the 'fail to > start' after sitting overnight, or only when WARMED up inside? > What's > your mileage, BTW? > > 'Curly'

I never received a recall, but the ignition switch has been replaced within the year due to an auto theft. The failure to start is happening at both times, while warm, or while sitting overnight. The mileage is near 135,000. Thank you for your reply.

Matt

Reply to
mugman21