CH465 Transmission Weight

About how much does the transmission and bellhousing weigh on a manual Muncie 4 speed with granny gear?

Jake

Reply to
jakejoseph

manual

Tranny AND bellhousing together? About 200 to 225 lbs. It is not light by any means.

Reply to
SnoMan

How much do you suppose it weights without the bell housing.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

According to Novak Engineering, about 175 pounds.

jakejoseph

I would put between 125 and 150lbs. It is a heavy beast. I have not changed one for about 20 years now and they can be a bear. The type of belt housing you have is a factor too (whether is has crossover mounts on it or not) on it weight too. I had a freind once in the 70?s that could actually change a 420 or 465 by himself and without a tranny jack which is something I would not have attempted then and certainly not now either.

Reply to
SnoMan

I did it myself many years ago in my 63 PU thru the opening in the floor. I recall holding the whole tranny up by the shift lever as I lined up the input shaft to the clutch. If I tried it today my back would explode.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I liked that on old trucks that you could unbolt center hump cover. My friend used to lay on the ground under it and hold it up with one hand while using the other to put the bolts in.

Reply to
SnoMan