Check Engine light on, where can I get it checked for free

I have an S-10 1999 and my check engine light is on and i have to get it smogged,. Will the check engine light cause me to fail smog? where can I get it checked for free to see why the light is on. It's a 4.3 V-6 with 62,000 miles. i unplug the battery and the light goes off for a couple of days then turns back on...

thanks for any replies...

Rich

Reply to
<sanchez43

Hi!

Autozone will read the codes for free.

In regards to your question, the light being on indicates that something is wrong with your vehicle. (That much I am sure you knew! :-) ) Whether or not the something that is wrong will cause you to fail a smog test is hard to say for sure unless the actual failure codes are known.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

. . . . Check Engine light on, where can I get it checked for free Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Wed, Nov 19, 2003, 5:35pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ()

I have an S-10 1999 and my check engine light is on and i have to get it smogged,.

Will the check engine light cause me to fail smog?

Where can I get it checked for free to see why the light is on?

It's a 4.3 V-6 with 62,000 miles. i unplug the battery and the light goes off for a couple of days then turns back on... thanks for any replies... Rich ========= ========= Rich,

answers to yer questions......

quest. #1

In certain states....yes it will.

quest. #2

Nowhere

marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

smogged,. Will the check engine light cause me to fail smog?

V-6 with 62,000 miles. i unplug the battery and the light goes off

I used to check it myself using a paper clip and counting the flashes of the light. Haven't tried it for quite a while but there are several sites that explain how to do it. Just put a jumper on the test plug, turn it on and count the flashes of the light. Apparently still works with newer cars.

A search turned up this site:

Dick

Reply to
kdm75

Can't be done on a 1999. Need an OBD II scanner.

In some states they bypass the smog test altogether. On 1996 and newer vehicles, they hook up a scanner to the computer and see what it's saying about emmision problems. If the check engine light is indicating a problem with EGR, EVAP system, oxygen sensors, etc.,.....your're screwed.

Reply to
Rob

uhm, autozoned? Free check... but you need to take what that "smart" "computer" of yours says is "wrong"

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:35:41 GMT, said while waiving his hands wildly:

]I have an S-10 1999 and my check engine light is on and i have to get it smogged,. Will the check engine light cause me to fail smog? ]where can I get it checked for free to see why the light is on. It's a 4.3 V-6 with 62,000 miles. i unplug the battery and the light goes off ]for a couple of days then turns back on... ] ]thanks for any replies... ] ] ]Rich ]

Rich,

None of the parts places around here (So Calif) would check mine. They all said they "used to", but no more.

If your check engine light is on, then you WONT pass the smog test. Period.

I bought a scanner at Kragen for $140. Just saw the same one on sale for $129.00. Kind of steep, but it will tell you EXACTLY whats wrong.

Best of luck to you

Reply to
Phillip

. . . . snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ()

I have an S-10 1999 and my check engine light is on and i have to get it smogged,.

=A0=A0=A0=A0Will the check engine light cause me to fail smog?

Where can I get it checked for free to see why the light is on?

=A0=A0It's a 4.3 V-6 with 62,000 miles. i unplug the battery and the light goes off for a couple of days then turns back on... thanks for any replies...

Rich =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

quest. #1 In certain states....yes it will.

quest. #2 Nowhere

marsh ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Nov 21, 2003, 1:27am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEworldnet.att.net (KJ)

uhm, autozoned?

Free check... but you need to take what that "smart" "computer" of yours says is "wrong"

~KJ~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

his question was ........where to could he get it checked for free to see why the light was on.

the answer is ...nowhere....unless he has a buddy with a scanner, the ability to understand what it's tell'n him, and the expertise to diagnose the code.....

now.......if his question would have been ...where can he get the codes pulled for free... then by all means ...AutoZoneOut is as good as any.

..AutoZonedOut can give him a code for free... but the code isn't necessarily going tell him why the light is on.

marshmonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I have an S-10 1999 and my check engine light is on and i have to get it smogged,.

Where can I get it checked for free to see why the light is on. thanks for any replies...

Rich ======== ======== Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Nov 21, 2003, 3:20pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Phillip)

Rich, None of the parts places around here (So Calif) would check mine. They all said they "used to", but no more. If your check engine light is on, then you WONT pass the smog test. Period.

I bought a scanner at Kragen for $140. Just saw the same one on sale for $129.00. Kind of steep, but it will tell you EXACTLY whats wrong.

Best of luck to you =========== ===========

Phillip, I where can I purchase one of those Kragen scanners that will tell me EXACTLY WHATS WRONG.....???????

That sure would cut down on my diagnosing time after hooking up the scanner.

"Change ingnition module to fix this code..... GAURANTEED"...............sure would be easier than pulling a code and then having to go through the process of diagnosing it.

Marsh Monster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:06:53 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Marsh Monster) said while waiving his hands wildly:

] ]Rich, ]None of the parts places around here (So Calif) would check mine. They ]all said they "used to", but no more. ]If your check engine light is on, then you WONT pass the smog test. ]Period. ] ] ]I bought a scanner at Kragen for $140. Just ]saw the same one on sale for $129.00. Kind of steep, but it will tell ]you EXACTLY whats wrong. ] ]Best of luck to you ]=========== ]=========== ] ]Phillip, ] I where can I purchase one of those Kragen ]scanners that will tell me EXACTLY WHATS WRONG.....??????? ] ]That sure would cut down on my diagnosing time after hooking up the ]scanner.

The obvious answer would be Kragen.

But, I get your point. I was only refering to the relative sophistication of OBDII systems. The (granted) few times I have needed to pull a code, it told me EXACTLY what was wrong.

ie... o2 sensor, post cat, bank 2, preheat circut= replace post cat o2 sensor on the right side. Simple. In that case.

But, I didnt mean to imply that this tool could possibly render a qualified tech obsolete. It's only a tool. But a really useful tool when dealing with OBDII systems, dont you aggree?

Really, no offense to you or your skills.

I was just trying to answer the original poster about being able to go into AZ or anywhere else, and have them read your codes. They just dont do it anymore. In my case, I was better off buying a scanner.

I apologize if I left you with the wrong idea. I meant no offense.

Phil

Reply to
Phillip

. . . . .

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Phillip)

Rich,

I bought a scanner at Kragen for $140. Just saw the same one on sale for $129.00. Kind of steep, but it will tell you EXACTLY whats wrong.

Best of luck to you =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Phillip, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I where can I purchase one of those Kragen scanners that will tell me EXACTLY WHATS WRONG.....???????

That sure would cut down on my diagnosing time after hooking up the scanner.

marshmonster ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

The obvious answer would be Kragen.

But, I get your point. I was only refering to the relative sophistication of OBDII systems. The (granted) few times I have needed to pull a code, it told me EXACTLY what was wrong. ie... o2 sensor, post cat, bank 2, preheat circut=3D replace post cat o2 sensor on the right side. Simple. In that case.

But, I didnt mean to imply that this tool could possibly render a qualified tech obsolete. It's only a tool. But a really useful tool when dealing with OBDII systems, dont you aggree? Really, no offense to you or your skills.

=A0=A0I was just trying to answer the original poster about being able to go into AZ or anywhere else, and have them read your codes. They just dont do it anymore. In my case, I was better off buying a scanner.

I apologize if I left you with the wrong idea. I meant no offense.

Phil =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

No offense taken, and yer point is understood.

I agree.....any scanner is better than no scanner at all.

respectfully

marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

No offense taken, and yer point is understood.

I agree.....any scanner is better than no scanner at all.

respectfully

marsh ~:~

Wow cali sucks, AutoZoned does it here (NH)

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ