differential questions for 99 k1500 suburban???

Ok want to change the fluid out of my differential's for this thing, but when I look in the owners manual it list 2 types of differential's both use the same oil but on needs a additive and does not( forget which one uses what dont have book as i type).

Question 1: How do I know if it has limited-slip differentials,and are the front and the back the same thing?

Question 2: I think the book calls for 80w90 oil. should I stick with regular oil are go with synth:?

Reply to
kdm75

I can answer question 1. With both front or rear wheels up in the air, spin one of the tires by hand. If the opposite wheel on the same axle spins in the opposite direction then you do not have a limited slip differential. If both wheels on the same axle spin in the same direction, then you do have limited slip. Do this for both the front and rear wheels and you will have answered question 1.

If I recall, the limited slip is the only one that needs an additive. Check the owners manual. My opinion is that any name brand gear oil of the right weight and specs will do. Synthetic is better but is probably overkill unless you do a lot of towing or heavy hauling. Steve

Reply to
sf/gf