Chevy 1500 88 or 89? And what engine

I am trying to figure out if a prospective free truck is an 88 or 89. It says on the door that it was manufactured in 05/87...does that mean it's an 88?

I am curious because I think the engine needs a rebuild. It has done a LOT of towing and the engine seems to be a little weak. Any ideas what sort of engine I could drop in this sucker? Costs of doing so?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best -

kb

Reply to
kraberry

What does the title say? May could go either way. But most likely it's an '87.

Reply to
Steve Barker

the 10th character of the VIN would show the year : h = 1987 , j = 1988 k =

1989 ( the letter ' i ' wasn't used ) >
Reply to
samstone

what will you be using the truck for? if its for towing, etc.., then i would drop a 350 or a 396 in it (it probably already has a 350 in it), if not for towing then i would drop a 305 in there. plenty of power and would use a bit less gas than a 350 or 396, although im pretty sure its gonna have a carbeurator on it anyway. if it's fuel injected it would definitely get better gas mileage. the last time i looked around for 350's they were going for $1500 - $2000, although im sure you could find one cheaper, or even do a rebuild on the one already in the truck.

Reply to
big.drizzt