'89 mazda 626: overhaul or not?

I have an '89 Mazda 626 which I have had for over 10 years. It now has 195K miles on it and needs a new clutch. Uses a lot of oil too. Normaly I would write off the car as all used up. But, damn, this is the best car I ever had. I am seriously thinking of sinking some money into it and getting it in running condition again. We are talking complete engine overhaul and new clutch, brake system rebuild, new struts all around, replace wear items in the front end, some minor body work. Anything else I'm missing??

So am I being over sentimental about this car or do you think it is a worth while project? What kind of service do you think I can get out of a rebuilt car??

Any other thoughts??

Thanks.

Reply to
Gordon reeder

Is there *ANY* rust? Welds under the hood, under the door lip, around the wheel wells? If so, then don't put any money into it.

If the body is perfect, then it MIGHT be worth doing... but I'd probably figure in the price of a good clean/undercoat/paintjob as well to protec the sheetmetal.

Reply to
Noozer

"Noozer" wrote in news:gTBdf.488491$oW2.403061@pd7tw1no:

None whatsoever. Most of it's life the car was run in Austin, TX. Body is clean as a whistle. Interior is great too. Only problem there is the carpet at the driver's feet has worn out and the pedal pads have worn off. No holes in the seats.

Reply to
Gordon reeder