98 chevy 1500 Silverado, auto 3 speed w/overdrive 166,000 +mi shifting into second gear hits harder than normal. Clunk is more noticable under mild/light acceleration than under hard acceleration. Started yesterday.

Any ideas???

Thanks I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! (The hell with what my X-wife told me) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybea

Mine's (same model) been doing it since I drove it off the show room floor! They've, the GM mechanics, told me they all do it...

Kevin Smith

My astro does the same thing, its a 95 AWD w/ 4.3 Wayne

Reply to
wayne c

my X-wife told me)

Could be in valve body/accumutor circuit. There is a accumulator in the circuit that softens the shift when it works properly. (please note that most "shift kits' disable ths accumulator so that is "bangs" in gear harder)

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

what my X-wife told me)

I am going to have the local tranny shop put it on the machine to see what it is later today. This place was recommended to me by several people as being honest and dependable.

I'll post the results later.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! (The hell with what my X-wife told me) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybea

Hi, The code that came up on the tranny was, code P1870 or Pi870? Does that make any sense to anyone out here? I will try googleing it too.

what my X-wife told me)

my X-wife told me)

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! (The hell with my X-wife!) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybea

Found information on this page.

what my X-wife told me)

my X-wife told me)

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! (The hell with my X-wife!) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybea

Well...The P1870 code, if I have been reading correctly, could be nothing more than a valve body replacement with an updated valve body. I say this as most of the posts I have read where this worked have been vehicles that were serviced very soon after the shift from 1st to second became a problem. I had mine checked the day after I noticed it.

The one concern I have is virtually all the vehicles I read about this happening on were in the 50,000 to 65,000 mile range. Mine has almost at 168,000mi. The original owner did not have any problems with the tranny and neither of us towed anything heavier than a small boat.

I am not sure I need a complete rebuild although the shop owner was recomended to me by a shop I trust.

I wish I knew what the hell to do. I don't want to spend to much money on an 8 year old truck with almost 168,000mi on it. On the other hand I am unable to buy a new truck at this time and need a dependable truck.

OH MY HEAD...OUCH

my X-wife told me)

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! (The hell with my X-wife!) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybea

Since it is a know issue and GM even redesigned the valve body, I would simply replace it and roll. I would not rebuild it just for the sake of doing it. Usage and upkeep determine tranny life more than mileage and the fact that your want that far before valve body gave up tevd to suggest that the rest of it is in good shape still.

what my X-wife told me)

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Thanks Snowman, that is what I have decided I would do after rechecking the fluid to make sure it is not burnt. I figure a valve body, filter and new fluid will have to be it for now. I want to be there when the pan is pulled so I can see what is in it and how the fluid looks/smells.

Anyth>>>98 chevy 1500 Silverado, auto 3 speed w/overdrive 166,000

what my X-wife told me)

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! (The hell with my X-wife!) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybea

Reply to
SnoMan

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! (The hell with my X-wife!) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybea

How difficult is it to change and can (or should I say) a novice attempt it?

SnoMan, I want to thank you for your advice. It turned out the valve body was the culprit and a rebuild of the tranny was not necessary. There was some debris in the pan but it was not enough to signal wear, the fluid was dark red and did not smell burnt to me.

The valve body was rebuilt and a modified valve kit was installed. It keeps the valve from moving constantly. Now it only moves when demand requires it, The tranny is smooth as silk and very responsive.

The bill was not the $1800 for a tranny rebuild but $329 for the valve body rebuild.

Your advise and my research on the net were what made me able to discuss the problem with the mechanic and determine the better course of action.

Thanks again!