Coolant disappearing and Electrical short???

Any information provided is greatly appreciated. I have 1997 Suburban that I'm starting to get frustrated with. I had to replace a bad fuel pump in May 2005 while on family vacation, and now, 18 months later it buzzing so loud I can hear it from the driver's seat, engine running and door closed. I will be replacing it this weekend.

The last 3-4 months my antifreeze seems like it is always low. I don't see any leaks, but am continuing to top it off. I did a pressure check and it held 16 psi very well. I also replaced the cap. I'm not sure what is happening to the coolant. If my intake gasket is leaking, wouldn't it show on the pressure test? Any tips?

Yesterday morning the truck was stone dead. I pulled out my battery charger and got it running again, but 6 hours later it was stone dead again. I had a tough time getting it running the second time. While the battery charger was running, the power door locks were freaking out and locking and unlocking by themselves. I was able to get the truck running again and drove around until the battery was charged. I then disconnected the battery over-night to see if it was bad, and it started the truck no problem. While driving it now, when I turn up the radio, the louder I go, the speakers start to distort, more and more. Could an electrical short cause this? I just picked up a multi-meter and am going to check the battery draw when turned off. Any other advice or thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff S.

Reply to
JeffS

check the oil for water just in case. How long did you leave the pressure trester on?

I bet the battery is bad (just because it sits overnight and still starts the truck doesnt mean its good. Also, clean the cables and clean them right. pull the bolts out of the cables and clean them too. Those side terminal cables can look clean but be filthy inside where it counts.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

The last 3-4 months my antifreeze seems like it is always low. I don't

I just replaced the intake gasket on my 97 S-10. Over the past several months I noticed the coolant was disappearing. My heater wouldnt get warm. I added coolant to the overflow and the heater started working again. After a few months i noticed it was low again and no leaks could be found. Eventually I had to replace the intake gasket because it steadily got worse until it started hissing. Then after a pressure test I could see the leak. It was right over the number one cylinder.......good luck

Reply to
tom