Coolant loss?

My 1997 C1500 with the 5.7 liter engine will never get to use its coolant for 100,000 miles or whatever the advertised life of the coolant is because it seems to leak so fast that I have to refill the overflow tank about every

4 months. In January, I replaced the water pump because its seal was leaking and at that time, I filled the overflow tank very nearly to the top to make sure there was enough coolant to fill any nook or cranny that was not filled. Does anybody have this same problem and, if so, where's the most likely leak to be found?
Reply to
George Del Monte

. Since you have had some service on the water pump I would suggest you check the hose clamps.

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

i had a lower intake gasket on the passangers side go bad a few years ago. seems like it's a common problem for 5.7L chevy's ,along with transmisson problems. mine would leak about a gallon over 4-6month period. only once did i see a small drip under the truck. probally a $500 fix by the dealership.

Reply to
Donny Nelms

"George Del Monte" wrote

Yes, have the intake gasket replaced.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Check the Intake Gasket. I had simlar problems with my '95 C1500 (4.3 liter). Replaced the gasket once at 50,000 miles and again at 105,000 miles. Problem went away for 2-3 years each time I replaced it. First time was about $500 at a dealer, second time was several hours of labor in my driveway. Not a bad job, just takes a while.

Wally K.

Reply to
Wally Korzenieski

Where does the lost coolant go? Does it go into one or more cylinders during the intake stroke? Where? I don't see anything under the truck except condensate from the A/C.

Reply to
George Del Monte

"George Del Monte" wrote

In most cases, it's going into the oil, or leaking slowly enough on the outside that you don't see the leaks as the coolant evaporates off the hot engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Well, then, if it's my intake manifold gasket that's leaking, the leak must be to the air, since I would expect my dipstick to show an emulsion of oil and water and it doesn't. I have a cooling system tester, so I'm going to pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
George Del Monte

Its a common problem with a lot of Chevy engines. Makes me wonder why I keep buying Chevy.

V.B.

Reply to
vb

"George Del Monte" wrote

Why would you "expect this"? This isn't the way it happens on these engines. Trust me, I work on them all day long. You can have an internal leak without the "milkshake" effect. The leaks are usually so small that you end up with a brown scum all over the internal parts of the engine. Or if you have external leaks, you can check for the tracking of dried Dexcool at the corners of the intake manifold gasket. Most common corners are the drivers front, passenger rear. But of course, you can get leaking from all four corners.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I just want to thank you guys for this post...sometime this week I have to do the same thing...(loosing coolant without any noticeable drips)

Reply to
Bob Truck

been a diehard chevy man since i was a kid. Daddy had a Chevy so what is good enough for him is good enough for me?Right? bought my 1998 chevy 4x4

5.7L 1500 new, and as far as i'm concerned it will be the last.
Reply to
Donny Nelms

there is a fitting on the intake manifold the corrodes, simple go to auto parts and bet a new hose barb abd cut hose on truck put new barn into intake abd clamp hose shoud be good after wards.

Reply to
Patrick Colwell Jr

Did you fix it?........that patrick cowell reply I think has it......mine was leaking and when I went to tighten it, it just fell off....corroded through. It's on the rear of the intake, passenger side, and a pipe runs out of it to the firewall for the heater core......auto stores have a replacement......

Reply to
RITCHIE