Cooling a 383

I have a 95 s-10 with a 383 and a 350 transmisson. Having some cooling problems using the 4.3 radiator. It had a oil cooler that I am not using. To get another tad of cooling could I add a transmisson cooler to the oil lines on the radiator and fill with oil? Using a dual fan from evercool. The engine seems ok till it gets really hot outside. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
<davisbc

Why would you expect the 4.3L radiator to cool a 383? I would try to use a stout clutch fan and a good shroud. Would provide much more air than electric's, if you have room.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Jegs has a radiator, listed 93/94 but the deminsions are the same as the

  1. rated for up to 350 hp, has 1 1/4 " tubes as oppsed to the stock 1" tubes part number 134-68015
    Summit racing has one part number BCI-60076, this is a dual core 1" tubes, outside dimensions same as stock except 3" thick.
    what's really missing is the important info. fuel system being used, ie carb, throttle body, multi-port? Thermostat installed ?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Pull out the 4.3 radiator...nothing you do will make that radiator cool enough to be safe for a 383. Get a radiator for an S-10 V-8 conversion. Run an electric fan setup with a thermostat to operate it. More than likely you can get both from the same place.

Reply to
Shades

A 383 is nothing more than a long stroke 350. The orginal camero's rad had less surface area than the S-10's The engines from 250 6 bang to 327, and the 302 Z motor all used the same with auto and ac. The same size was used in later models with 350 engines. Core was 17" x 20.5" x 1.25" depth. as opposed to the s-10 at 15" x 26.25" x 1.37" depth It was a two row core, but the tubes were just 1/2" wide, the stock S-10's tubes are 1" wide, and the old was copper, the new aluminum. I've been pondering this as I did more than a few V-8 conversions on S-10s and it seems we used the 4.3 radiator with no problems. Pretty sure that was Hookers recommendation (sweet conversion kit, no problems at all) This down in Florida. The radiator could be needing a good clean out, or he's not running a thermostat/restrictor on the engine. If his problem is sitting at a light, but fine down the road then I would say his fan set up isn't doing the job. Another possibility is there is a ton of garbage between the rad and ac condenser, or fin damage on ether or both blocking air flow. Is the heater core hooked up? Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

You need to find a good 3 core or better radiator that will fit in there and stop messing around with two core units.

Reply to
TheSnoMan