crank pulley on 250 L6

I have a 72 C-10 Fleetside and it has a 250 in it. I cant figure out how the pulley stays on the crankshaft. I see no bolt and its not a press fit. Does the belt alignment hold it on during operation? stumped in Va.

Reply to
chamann

The pulley and balancer are one piece and it is a press fit.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to
chamann

The outer part should be "bonded" to the inner part so to speak by a band of rubber, If the balancer was removed wrong, a jaw style puller for instance, the outter part can be pulled off which would explain it being two pieces. Also it could be that you have the wrong parts, which would explain it just slipping on.. I've never seen a Chevy of that time span that didn't require press to get it on (screw type that threads into end of crankshaft) many articles I have read about just using a persuader to drive it on, but I never liked that method, it can be rough on the thrust bearing. Also there is the possibility that someone over polished the end of the crankshaft, ether a machine shop, or mechanic. Common policy to use a crocus cloth to clean up the end of the crank making it easier to install the balancer. Unless its really rusted I have never done this, a thin coat of grease works as well. The key way's main purpose is to keep the balancer properly oriented to the crankshaft so timing marks line up correctly for using a timing light, as well as helping to keep the balancer from spinning on the end of the shaft.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

well then I guess the crankshaft is shot. good thing I'm building a 350 for it.

Reply to
chamann

not necessarily best thing to do is get another pulley there is different repro companies that deals in these old trucks . But I have a question why get rid of the 6 ,everybody had done the v-8 conversion,even tho the L6 is the better engine ,they are more efficient at applying the power to the crank,they are durable you can have them spraying oil out of every seal and smoke like a chimmey and they keep going for mile after mile ,and different companies have performance parts for them to give them a nice boost especially after the mounting of a belt driven supercharger and a new cam and the head massaged (port polished , cc'd and the ports matched) its nothing to see 350 or more hp out of this engine ,and another plus ,can you imagine the look of peoples face doing a burn out and then pop the hood and they are looking at a L6 I can bet you they will remember your truck with a v-8 they say to their friends how you like that V-8 powered truck and they say which one,but they will remember your truck because it is a L6. Just because it's old doesnt mean it's not the best

Reply to
badaztek

Reply to
chamann

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 03:31:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (badaztek) wrote: .

I agree that inline-sixes are reliable, sturdy, and efficient little engines, and I love 'em, I really do. I've had a number of inline-six engines over the years, not just Chevy, but Ford and Chrysler too - even a six-banger Jeep back in the 1980s, and I've driven them all well beyond expectations. The joke went something like this: "Why do those little engines last so long? It's because they don't make enough power to break anything...." There may be a grain of truth in that - those sixes are truly overbuilt. Seven main bearings with only six cylinders, versus five main bearings for V8. Add to this the fact that most people who buy a six-cylinder car or truck new are likely to be more conservative drivers anyway, and it all adds up to longer lifespan - ESPECIALLY if you keep up on maintenance.

But, you've answered your own question. It's easier (read "less expensive") to get to a target horsepower level by doing a V8 conversion than it is to play games with superchargers and turbos and stuff on a six-cylinder. Can it be done? Sure it can, and you'd get high marks in the 'dare to be different' category. But precious few things are more cost-effective than displacement when speed and acceleration are part of the game plan.

Reply to
xmh31d_64

. Can

I made a lot of money street racing an almost bone stock Pontiac Lemans when I was stationed on Ft Hood in texas, them Texans are down right foolish when it comes to their ford trucks. Oh it was a Sprint engine, Pontiac

230 cid overhead cam six with a factory 4 bbl carb, three on the floor, factory dual exhaust on split cast iron headers with a posi trac and she would smoke L-60-14s. They only saw the inline 6, figured an easy way to take money from a damn foolish Yankee. I miss that car, another one I kick my self for getting rid of.

You are right its easier to just slap a V-8 under the hood. Six hold up because of its inline design, which is also why they have more torque. Off the line a ford straight six 300 can make a windsor look sick. Much as I hate to admit, with the exception of the overheating and cylinder head problems, the Jeep six was a stronger pulling engine than the 4.3 V-6. and the old overhead cam Jeep Tornado engine was a monster of torque. The chevy 292 will pull a sky scraper down. Bore the 250 a bit, the right small block pistons, the right large block rods, clifford research 4 bbl manifold and dual headers and a good carb......There was a guy in Orlando in '79 running a set up like that in a 66 Vette, he wasn't beat often at the drag strip.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning