200 Tdi crank timing pulley

Hi Folks,

200 Tdi timing belt pulley, the one on the crankshaft.

How DO you pull it off ? I have made a pulling tool, but the necessary force has snapped one of the three M5 studs I was pulling with. Can I apply some heat, or will I knacker the crankshaft ?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

In article , Steve Taylor writes

Hi Steve

are you talking about the gear that the timing belt runs on?

These rarely are difficult to remove. I have only come across one out of the hundreds that I must have done over the years.

The way that I did it was to make a puller using an old gear that I bolted through using those M5 bolt holes to the stuck gear on the crank. This meant that the pull on the M5 studs was always in the right direction and there was much less chance of them breaking. Give it a good soaking in WD40 too.

Heating really is a last resort it should not damage the crank unless you are really brutal .But as you will be replacing the oil seal anyway.... On the 300 tdi it is not a good idea due to the location of the oil pump.

hope this helps

Reply to
marc

had trouble geeting mine off when the keyway broke up ended un using a slide hammer connected to an M5 bolts and worked my way around each one , once it started to move it slide off easily just had to break through the burr on the keyway ! "

Reply to
<chris

That's the one.

I've got news for you.

What did you use for the puller bolts ? I used some bits of M5 studding, but they aren't up to it - one snapped.

Another helpful reply suggested burring on the key would stop it moving

- the damper wasn't fastened at ALL, so maybe thats the answer, deburr the key and try again ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I've had success in the past by using a long pry bar and by very gently (but with a lot of force) prising the pulley off working slowly round (turning the engine over). What does you puller look like?

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Flat disk, drilled 120 deg 5.2mm holes on 20.4 mm PCR. Centre drilled

1/2" Whitworth for stud that bears on rear of crankshaft hole.

Studs screwed into pulley, pass through disk, two nuts on each stud.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Studding is normally pretty soft. I'd suggest using a grade 8 or 10 bolts.

Reply to
EMB

Yes, but its all I had in stock. What kind of length can I get HT bolts (M5) in ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I've got some 100mm ones here and IIRC they weren't the longest the supplier had either.

Reply to
EMB

I should be laughing then - out with the dremel to deburr the key first, then get new bolts.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

A lot of the thru bolts that hold alternators together are M5 and a decent length if you have trouble finding any.

Reply to
EMB

Another great tip. Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

they sell a complete puller and pin kit to do timing belt changes on NA/200TDI/300TDI landrovers for £99 plus post

Reply to
M0bcg