Determine Year and Proper Timing of Engine?

Hello,

I've just bought my '72 Chevy pickup. The engine is a 350, but it is not the original engine. How can I determine what model year the engine is? Also, it's very possible that the cam is aftermarket (both the intake and carb are aftermarket Eldebrock). How do I determine how the engine should be timed?

Thanks,

Reply to
frank

Start at 4* BTDC and work your way backwards until you get max vacuum and smoothest idle. Most carbed SB's like it between 4*-8* BTDC.

If you get the casting number off the block (will be either just above the bellhousing, or stamped just below the passenger side cylinder head I'll decode it for you.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc,

Thanks for your help. I'll give your method a go.

The stamp is not on the spot that it's on on my original Vette SB. I'll take a look round the bell housing tomorrow.

Another dilemma: proper plug gap?

Many thanks,

Reply to
frank

0.035" standard plug, 0.060" platinum plug.
Reply to
"Doc"