Duramax Engine Failure - Engine Filled With Deisel due to fuel injector failure = SPUN BEARING

I have a 2001 GMC Duramax truck that had the injectors fail and fill the motor with deisel fuel to the point where it was blowing out of the fill tube. The truck only has 80,000 miles on it. There is a GM service bulliten that was issued that says they have extended the warranty on the injectors to 200,000 miles and 10 years so the local dealer replaced them under warranty. I told them at that time I didn't think that running deisel fuel inside that motor had done it any good and that the whole motor was suspect in my opinion and was told that "deisel contains some oil so it won't damage anything". I got a whole

2144 miles before a bearing spun and now my motor is trashed and they are telling me that the area rep is denying my warranty coverage because the truck is out of the official 100,000 mile 5 year warranty by 9 months, even though the faulty injectors that caused the failure are warranteed for 200,000 miles or 10 years . My point is that the injector failure flooded the engine with solvent, basically, and washed all oil away from the contact areas which caused the failure and the mechanic who is working on it at the local dealership agrees with me completely. I'm looking at $15,600 to get it replaced. I was hoping for some expert opinions on the lubricating properties of deisel fuel as an oil substitute. I'm no expert but I suspect that deisel is not really acceptable as an engine lubricant, and I suspect that the oil pump would not pump it as the viscosity is so low. Any help/tips/advice/pointers towards anything printed that says DO NOT ADD DEISEL FUEL TO YOUR ENGINE, IT WILL DAMAGE IT would be greatly appreciated as the motor is torn apart as I type this and they are awaiting the new engine.

P.S. I've been calling deisel mechanics all morning and I have gotten

100% confirmation that running your motor with deisel fuel in side of it washes the oil from the contact surfaces of the motor, no ifs ands or buts abou tit

P.P.S. DURAMAX FUEL INJECTORS CAUSE ENGINE FAILURE UPDATE: Well, I just got off the phone with the GM Customer service people. They say that since the 100,000 mile 5 year warranty is expired by 9 months they will not warranty the motor even though it was RUINED by an injector failing and flooding the engine with deisel. The injectors are warranteed for

200,000 miles or 10 years because they are DEFECTIVE ( see
) and aregoing bad on a regular basis according to the local dealers duramaxmechanic. I talked to this mechanic at length who took the engine outand HE AGREES WITH ME 100%. The mechanic told me that he has seen abunch of these injector failures and every time an engine gets filledwith deisel the trusks start coming in with low oil pressure readingsand "it's only a matter of time before they FAIL". He has told me that That's right folks, A GM TRAINED DURAMAX MECHANIC HAS TOLD ME THAT HE SEES THESE FAILURES ON A REGULAR BASIS AND THAT HE HAS TOLD THE AREA GM REP THAT THE ENGINES ARE FAILING AS A RESULT OF THE INJECTOR PROBLEM AND THAT GM IS REFUSING TO WARRANTY THE FAILED ENGINES.

Let me re-state the facts here: my truck is a 2001 GMC 3500 with 80,000 miles on it that only made it 2,144 miles AFTER THE ENGINE WAS FLOODED WITH FUEL THAT WASHED AWAY THE LUBRICANT before FAILING as a result of OIL BEING WASHED AWAY FROM THE BEARINGS. GM is refusing to honor the warranty on grounds that in their opinion THE OIL PUMP FAILED AT 80,000 MILES which is unrelated to the flooding problem.

If they are right, THAT'S EVEN WORSE NEWS FOR DURAMAX OWNERS. YOUR OIL PUMP COULD FAIL AT RANDOM AT 80,000 MILES AND GM WILL NOT STAND BEHIND IT.

I suspect that eventually there will be a class action lawsuit that will force them to pay up on these failures but right now I'm SCREWED. I have a wife and 2 kids and make my living with the truck and now I'm looking at $15,600 for a replacement engine from GM that I'll have to throw on high interest credit cards if I want to be able to provide for my family. They have me by the b@lls here. I still owe $10K on the truck and now I'm looking at buying it again, basically, and I'm sick inside over it.

Any helpful hints on how to proceed or any other forums you could suggest to post to will be appreciated, as well as any help in spreading the word. My only hope at this point is to somehow generate enough publicity that they agree to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help/time.

Reply to
xblackoutx

wrote

Should have bought a Cummings.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Then he'd have an good engine with a crap Dodge running gear.

Reply to
Advocate

That's real helpful.

Reply to
Philly

If you handle this right, I suspect you can get an acceptable response and action by GMC.

First, it's obvious by your post that you are upset and frustrated. That's normal and understandable. Get it out of your system before taking further action.

Then, document in writing everything that happened with dates, dealership and names if you have them in a short, to the point letter. Forget about the mechanic who told you about all the failures ... means nothing. Write it all up as concisely and objectively as you can with your logical conclusion that the faulty injector with a 200k mile warranty caused the engine bearing failure. End the document by requesting: a) a new engine or: b) for your engine to be rebuilt to new specifications, or: c) financial reimbursment to have the engine replaced or rebuilt by a third party facility. Request a response to your request within a reasonable time frame, (two-three weeks). Indicate that a failure to respond will unfortunately require you to turn the matter over to your attorney. Send the letter by certified mail to all parties.

In any face to face meetings explain in a calm, non-threatening or adversarial way that you feel the engine bearing failure was due to the faulty injector and GMC's failure to replace or repair the engine is unacceptable. Indicate that your position is non-negotiable. Be polite, but firm and resolute.

Again, do this in a business-like, straightforward way without allowing your emotional frustration to come to the surface. Don't take no for an answer, but don't lose your cool. Eventually they will realize that you are not just venting, but are very serious, they will do something.

Been there, done that.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

I do not think that being nice about it is going to get his truck fixed. This is is a tuff one because both parties are right. My suggestion is to make a LOT of noise and spread the word and contact a lawyer. I have little doubt that he has grounds to recover but the gray area will be that engine did not fill up with fuel overnight and it may had been running a bit different too so they will likely claim neglect on his part. In the long run though if he does not make a lot of waves, GM is not going to fix it out of good nature even though they should enlight of long know injector problems with that model year and a few other years too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

there is no "G" in Cummins.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Don't you mean "troll snipped"? Why else crosspost such an emotion-laden message about a contentious topic to these three groups?

Is that a poetry book?

Reply to
Rick Onanian

It does lead one to wonder doesn't it? I mean full till it was "blowing out the fill tube"? By the time it got a 1/2 gallon of diesel in the oil, oil pressure should of been low as hell, and idiot light on. How far did he drive it like that? There is a lot here not coming out.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

That thought had crossed my mind too because I always check my oil pressure from time to time even though they are gas motors as it is your engines life blood. If it was blowing out of crank case it had to have been leaking for a while and had several gallons of fuel in it with very low oil pressure and running poorly too. Fuel makes a terrible engine lube for a diesel with the demand it places on proper lubrication too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
none2u

%%%% Trade it in at a GMC dealer for another brand of truck.

Reply to
David Moffitt

"David Moffitt" wrote

I have heard that Ford Powerstroke is a great engine.

I didn't say I believe it, just that I heard it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You're in a hysterical emotional state. There is no way you'll get any satisfaction yelling and screaming, stomping your feet and holding your breath like a 3-year-old. I suggest you get it out of your system now, and conduct yourself in a civil, professional manner when dealing with GM. No customer service professional should ever have to put up with an abusive customer, regardless of the situation or how badly the customer feels he/she was "wronged." If you treat them as professionals instead of punching bags, it is likely that they will treat you the same way.

Warranties expire. Your drivetrain warranty expired on the 5th anniversary of the day you took delivery on your truck. That means that anything that happens to anything that is not expressly covered by another warranty is YOUR RESPONSIBLITY, no matter what caused the failure. You agreed to this when you signed the contract on the day you purchased the truck. You can't buy a vehicle without signing an agreement that states as much.

The INJECTORS were covered by the 200000 mile warranty. Injectors only, nothing else. Doesn't matter that the injectors MAY have caused the engine failure, only the injectors are covered.

If you didn't read the terms ahead of time, then you've got nothing to complain about. If you agreed to the terms knowingly and willingly, you have nothing to complain about. If you didn't agree to the terms, but signed the contract anyway, you have nothing to complain about.

Reply to
mkirsch1

This is the part where they may be hope for the OP. An argument can certainly be made that due to the failure of the injector .... that is warrantied for 200k miles .... further engine damage occurred.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

wrote

Well, lemme ask you this ...............

My outside mirror wouldn't work properly. While driving and messing with it at the same time, I clipped a highway marker. I proceeded down the embankment, rolled four times, and they are still picking up parts from the trailer. The whole shebang is a total loss, but now the mirror works. Go figger.

Am I covered, and if not, why not?

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

The term for this is consequential damage. You can be sure there is an express exclusion to this in the warranty, and hence though pissed off, the original poster really has no legal leg to stand on.

Of course that doesn't prevent trying a 'good will' approach (he may have burned that bridge already, however), or a threat approach ('Hi, I'm Attorney X, representing Mr. OP, and we're filing a lawsuit?'). The threat approach has virtually no chances of success (for so many reasons!) and can cost an arm and a leg.

I did get a car maker to replace an engine at 85K miles (was a 3/36 warranty) but it took some really sweet talking, and that was an unusual case.

Reply to
PeterD

Not even for the traffic citation for unsafe driving! In your (I hope) hypothetical case, you were the one who did something unwise: you tried to repair your mirror while driving!

Reply to
PeterD

%%%% I own a 97 F250HD and have had noting but good luck with it after

300,000 miles.

Reply to
David Moffitt