Edge Fuel Injector Service

Had the oil changed on our 2010 Edge with 40K miles and was told by the dealership I needed a $90 Fuel Injection service and to have the coolant flushed. I passed on both thinking they were just trying to upsell me on profitable services.

When should the injectors be serviced?

How about fuel injector cleaners added to the fuel?

Reply to
aRKay

The antifreeze should at the very least have the Ph checked and adjusted after 3 years (should have been done last year). I have been having my coolant "recycled" every 2 years for the last 10 years - it is pumped out and filtered and returned to the vehicle, with an additive package added to correct the Ph and renew the corrosion inhibitors.

If there is any indication of a stumble at idle, misfire, or emission problem it IS a good idea to clean the injectors every 36,000 miles or so. Sometimes a good dose of Techron is all that is required - and I used to use a product like BG 44K in the tank of every car I did a tune-up on with EFI at the 4 year mark, and BG Supercharge (their lower strength cleaner) at the intermediate tune-ups.

With "tune-ups" only every 10,000km or 60,000 miles on most vehicles today I run Techron at about 50,000 miles (80,000km) in my own vehicles.

If the intank treatment does not solve a problem a "flush" or removal for cleaning is indicated.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
clare

Clare, what is the spec pH range for coolant?

Reply to
Guv Bob

target 9.8, no lower than 9.5, now higher than 10.0

8.3 is very corrosive, 10.2 will scale the radiator and heater core
Reply to
clare

Others have commented correctly on the coolant, so I'll pass.

Never. They are NOT on the factory list of items to be serviced in your manual. Read and follow the factory service schedule, not what the dealer wants you to do.

Only needed if you are having problems with misfire or stumbling. Use a good grade gasoline and skip the fuel injector cleaners.

Derek Gee