Prius real mileage ?

Am considering the Prius Hybrid, have read all the ads and some reviews, but am wondering what real owners are getting for average mileage. Both in town and long interstate trips. Do you find interstate performance adequete ? How about long distance comfort and road noise ? Thanks for any feedback you may have ! ! Zork

Reply to
Zork

45mpg overall, dropping to around 40mpg in very low temperatures. That's across an entire tank, now, not some instantaneous or "I just filled the tank and am now coasting downhill to my house" number.

That's driving the thing like a normal driver would drive a car--including keeping yourself comfortable with the climate control. If instead you choose to drive the car like a dork, and don't mind pissing off the people in traffic around you, you can get higher mileage.

If your travel is mostly 40mph flat roads at moderate temperatures (72 deg), you'll probably see 50mpg.

Absolutely.

Absolutely.

I regularly do 6 hour highway trips; I don't stop to refuel, I'm very comfortable the entire time, and when I get out I'm not sore at all.

One such drive last summer, driving it like normal and with the AC on, the display showed 53mpg across the entire trip. And I was driving it like a normal car, going 72mph or so except for construction zones. Go figure.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

A colleague reported getting 55 mpg on the Thruway, for a 90 mile (each way) trip - relatively flat dry roads, warmish (but not hot) air temp.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Upstate NY? I believe it. Beautiful land, very moderate temps, if the sun isn't blasting down into the cabin (signaling the AC to be on most of the time), I can see that easily.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes.

Yeah, when it isn't in the -10 to 10 F or else the 85 - 95 F range. ;-)

Cathy

if the

Reply to
Cathy F.

Well, the -10 range is an issue, but those three days when it's 85-95 and humid pose no problem at all.

Naturally, it's those three days when I end up being up there for one reason or another...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Three days? I *wish*. (I don't do hot & humid very well.)

Yeah, because it could be any three consecutive days out of many when it's like that...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Zork" ...

52-55 mpg overall here in NJ. This is across multiple tankfuls and not any short term data.

We use a foot trained to take advantage of the added benefits of the Prius technology, allowing the car to use the electrics to the most advantage. There is no driving like a dork or pissing off any other drivers, just intelligent, trained droving technique that has become second nature by now.

This includes mostly travel between Flemington and Somerset NJ (you can google map the route, but it is a mix of rural and interstate driving). On longer trips on interstates we also get over 50 MPG and it keeps up just fine. We have had it up to 90 MPH on a trip to Virginia Tech (but not for long as handling became dodgy and MPG dropped into the low 40s at that speed). The family of 4 were comfortable on that long trip and other trips to Vermont.

It is nice to fill up and have it be $25 for 400+ miles. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Greenhybrid is reporting 47.5 MPG average for real users driving the HSD NHW20 (2004-current) model.

fueleconomy.gov is reporting 47 MPG average for the same vehicles.

Daniel Who Wants to Know

And pissing off the people around you, yes.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Ummmm Elmo..... Which part of "There is no driving like a dork or pissing off any other drivers" was hard to decipher above? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

You drive with your "Priusfoot" and make the CLAIM that you're not pissing off the people around you.

When, in fact, you are pissing them off. You just choose to ignore that fact.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" ...

Ummmm Elmo..... It is interesting to now know that you are secretly following me around all of the time, which is the only way that you can know exactly what my speeds are. One can indeed PriusFoot without holding up traffic. I do it all of the time. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Question. You're at the front of your lane at a red light and it changes to green. How long before your Prius Foot gets your vehicle up to the speed limit of say 55?

Reply to
witfal

This is just the thing. I accelerate 'normally'. It is just that when I get to the normal cruising speed I use the electrics much moreso than Elmo does using the PriusFoot technique. This is done without other folks noticing. It is actually more fuel efficient I have found to get up to speed and then use the electrics than to increase speed slowly and wait longer to use the electrics. Other things than this are being read into the situation that are not there. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"Normally" is quite subjective. Normally for you may see you taking 60 seconds to reach 55, while the frustrated normal driver behind you is pissed at your Prius Foot.

Your fuel efficiency may not equate to the guy behind you saving fuel when his car is forced, due to your Prius Foot, to accelerate at a speed causing transmission hunt and other factors diminishing HIS fuel economy.

Reply to
witfal

Really.

Say it's a 35mph zone. You "pulse" up to 40, then you "glide" down to

  1. This isn't pissing people off.

This is why there is road rage. You are a clueless driver, and have NO idea what's going on around you.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" ...

Ummmm Elmo...... This just becomes increasingly humorous, the assumptions made that have no bearing on reality. The PriusFoot is not a glide. It is a usage of the electrics to maintain that 40 MPH. As you say, this isn't pissing people off. I forgive you. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"witfal" ...

OK, lets use small words that might be understood. I go faster quickly just like when I am in my Jeep. The Prius is more efficient when it goes faster quickly than when it goes faster slowly. Read the words. They are easy to understand. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I understand. Even your condescension.

Too bad the Prius drivers I encounter don't. A little education from the dealers at purchase time, perhaps?

Reply to
witfal