Duramax thermostat

Recently it seems I have to drive 13 miles on flat land before the engine reaches normal operating temp. It's about 45 deg F outside. Does anyone have watched their gage and miles? conrad

Reply to
cbrockers

Mine normally warms up pretty quickly. At 45F, I'll wait for the glow plug light to go off, start the engine and let it idle for a minute of two, then drive with a very light foot on the accelerator. Usually, within 4 miles the temperature guage is upto 180F and a few miles later it's at the normal temp (around 190F). You might check out

which has lots of good information.

Reply to
Ed H.

Thanks for the lead. Itis really interesting. Have an ice end of the year.

Reply to
cbrockers

Depends on engine size. I have a 396 in my GMC and it seems to take a gallon of gas to get her up to temp, but my little v-6 F*** only takes a couple of miles of warm up time. Oh waitaminute, I forgot my 396 only gets a couple of miles to the gallon anyway.

H.

Reply to
-the HoSt-