Engine Troubles 6.5 turbo diesel

When I am driving my chev 1500 97 6.5l turbo diesel I will suddenly get a power loss and the truck will start spilling out black smoke when I try to accelerate. this loss of power happens for some time.. normally I can fixed it by pulling over and revving it a couple of times and it fixes it self. Yet I know this is not right. there has to be something seriously wrong. save me and the people behind me who have to deal with my clouds of black smoke when it happens.

Reply to
Scud_45

Are you setting any DTC's or is the Service Engine Soon light on??

How many miles on the engine / injection pump / turbo??

George Vigner> When I am driving my chev 1500 97 6.5l turbo diesel I will suddenly

Reply to
George Vigneron

not sure what u mean by DTC's but the engine service light hasn't come on at all.. There is a new injector fuel pump. thats a couple years old. The turbo and engine have 134837 miles on it (217 000 kms) ....

and it still is losing power.. someitmes when im driving and its not putting out any smoke ... BUt i got no power at all i can feel it.

thanks Ryan

Reply to
scud_45

DTC's = diagnostic trouble codes, they normally come when there is a SES (service engine soon) light.

There are many possibilities since it is a computer controlled diesel. Run it by an Autozone and have them put the scanner/reader on it and see if any codes show up.

With a low mile pump, I am thinking the trouble would most probably be in the turbo area. That doesn't mean the turbo itself though. It could be a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor (mounts on top of intake beside temp sensor). Or a barometric sensor (mounts on small bracket on firewall in front of driver in engine compartment). The MAP sensor and the baro sensor look identical, just mounted differently. Also there is a turbo boost control switch that mounts on a bracket on the intake on the drivers side. It has a couple of wires running into a plug in connector on one side and two vacuum lines in the other side. One of the lines runs to the boost control actuator the other line runs to the vacuum pump / source. Any of these sensors could cause this problem.

But what I would suspect first would be the turbo. With the engine not running pull the rubber neck off the inlet of the turbo, and feel the compressor wheel for lateral play in the shaft. Shouldn't be any. Compressor wheel should not be able to touch the housing. Also check the housing for scratch marks that may indicate the wheel is rubbing the housing.

When the boost goes away, the computer should compensate with less fuel but often doesn't. Perhaps try mounting a boost gauge to see if the boost goes away when the smoke and power loss becomes apparent.

George Vigner> not sure what u mean by DTC's but the engine service light hasn't > come on at all..

Reply to
George Vigneron