Fiesta Courier Diesel Prblem

From: "griffmonster" Subject: fiesta courier diesel problem Date: 14 April 2005 14:36

I have an unsolved problem with my fiesta van concerning a loss of power. It starts no problem, but once the engine is warm it starts to lose power. When accelerating there is little response with a lot of black smoke from the exhaust until sufficient revs are reached when the van suddenly starts pulling as it should. As you change up this happens again in the next gear. 5th gear is a complete no-go. Try it and the van just slows down. A mechanic has advised that he thinks it is the fuel pump but I am suspicious and do not want to shell out for this until I am a little more certain that this could be responsible.

EGR valve stuck open, or less likely, part of the inlet trunking sucking shut. But I doubt the latter would magically release as revs rose- its more likely to be sucked shut more strongly.

Blank off the EGR valve and roadtest. If ok, leave it blanked off. EGR is nothing but a method to make an engine run less efficiently.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..