French Fried Fuel?

I read an article in Trailer Life the had mentioned using used cooking oil as an alternative to diesel. They even had a name for it...biodiesel. Has anyone tried this stuff? I think it'd be great if I could fill up EVERYTHING at McD's. I pull a 21' 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton chevy duramax.

Reply to
SpaseKase

Would you like that super sized?

Reply to
Tom

It's been around for years. I saw on a tv program a VW Rabbit that had been converted to biodiesel. He got his fuel from the local fast food vendor. The exhaust smelled like french fries.

Co> > I read an article in Trailer Life the had mentioned using used cooking oil

Reply to
phil w

Cross-post truncated to alt.trucks.Chevy only

Not exactly, they take the used (or new) oil and distill it back into ~diesel, actually methyl esters (reading off the web sites linked below). They generally mix a percentage of biodiesel and regular diesel. You generally can't burn it straight, unless you are driving a WWII tank which from what I understand can run on anything that burns (gasoline, diesel, motoroil, even margarine)...

Most engine manufacturers *threaten* they will void the powertrain warranty if biodiesel is used. Ford says it will gum up the injectors and intakes... I do know some guys that have SuperDutys and use the stuff. They say they have had no problems and the stuff actually runs better, compared to regular diesel. There are a few stations around the country selling the stuff. So do a search on the web maybe there is a dealer near you... Personally I will stick with regular Diesel until the manufacturers give the official OK. I am all for getting us off the oil standard but I would be careful.

good luck, mark

rock_doctor

Hi!

Let me tell you that it is possible! In fact, some folks have already done it.

will get you started.There is a lot of info to be found there, and a lot of links to people whohave done it with everything from Diesel Chevettes (man, oh, man do I wantto find one! Anybody near Bloomington, IL have one?) to Suburbans with 6.2LDiesels.

The term for this is anything from from WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil) to SVO (unsure what that one stands for) to "Greasel"...not so much biodiesel...

When I get some money saved up and start on the restoration of my 1984 GMC Sierra (6.2L Diesel) one of the fuel tanks will become a veggie oil tank and the truck will be converted so I can run both Diesel and veggie oil. Making people stop and look will be fun...as well telling them I'm driving on nothing except the time it took to prepare the truck and the oil...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I forget which Hollywood twit this was but it boils down to costing her

3 times the cost of diesel even though she gets the used cooking oil free. LZ
Reply to
Lone Haranguer

Never used it, but a local gas station sell it and has for about 2 or more years. Evidently people like it.

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony

It was posted on Slashdot a few months ago.

Peraonlly, I would love to try this on an old VW Rabbit. No way I would ever try it on a new Duramax.

Reply to
Tony

Man! after reading these threads I'm getting hungry!

Reply to
Scott

You want fries with that?

Reply to
KB

My god..............in another 5 years we'll be able to take a dump down the filler neck and drive on it..........................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Check out

and

Steve Barker

5 years is not much time. I'd better start to work on my BP Prevention snake oil.
Reply to
bill horne

Over here in Europe people were getting in trouble due to the fact that they were using cooking oil in there cars and truck.

I like the idea but looking at the map of the location u couldn't drive across country on that stuff. Unless u can make it from Houston to California. Hopefully it catches on, and the price drops.

Reply to
bubba in italy

What was the trouble??

Reply to
Scott

The Government not getting their cut. (No road tax on cooking oil). Same reason using heating oil is highly frowned upon.

Reply to
John

Just out of curiosity, why in the US, isn't it called "Freedom Fried Food"?

Reply to
Peter Pan

that and untaxed agg diesel.... but round here heating oil is taxed (just about 30c less)

I'm waiting for the water powered cars to come out!

1 hydrogen + 2 oxygens = water 1 hydrogen + 2 oxygens + heat = fuel, oxygen, and heat = fire

Of course, this probably sounds about as silly as using your teeth to listen through a screw driver. Ever seen one of those lolly pops that plays music trough the suckker?

Reply to
KJ

My god..............in another 5 years we'll be able to take a dump down the filler neck and drive on it..........................

Doc .........................

lol....

back in the day......when I was training to be a 63 Charlie....."Vehical Track Mechanic"....

the Army tech dudes doing the training were real fond of saying....

"if you drink enough beer.....you can piss in her and she'll run another 10 clicks"...

I never had the chance to put it to the test.... but to this day.......I keep my system prepared for just such an emergency.

marshmonster ....

Reply to
Marsh Monster

the only problem with this is that you will end up using more energy to crack the water than you'll get from burning the hydrogen... that's why commercial hydrogen producers crack hydrocarbons, more H2, less energy to crack.

oh and it's 2 hydrogen, 1 oxygen.

that does work... it's just really, really dangerous.... putting the screwdriver to your cheek bone just infront of your ear is just as effective and you are much less likely to knock your teeth out or break any bones.

yep I have.. kinda disconcerting.... I prefer a plain ol' *not* $5 suckers.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase