French Fried Fuel?

Now I sound stupid, but at least I knew what I ment. And no we wont spend more energy on cracking them when we find a more efficient means of cracking them.

WONG - Don't know about you but I don't have eyes in the side of my head, and my vision infront of me is better than my periferal vision.

Jus' where I got the idea. Again I like it because I am looking RIGHT THE FUCK at the spinning parts, not side long at them.

Reply to
KJ

NOT road tax.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

I re-iterate "but round here heating oil is taxed (just

Didn't mention what kind of taxes

glad you put in your 2c

Reply to
KJ

Oddly enough, I was reading somewhere that during the Vietnam conflict, sewage was often mixed with diesel, causing a poopy smell in the exhaust. Don't know if there is any truth to that or not though.

Reply to
SpaseKase

For those of you that are/were familiar with aviation fuels, what about using some sore of jet fuel in a Duramax, say JP-5? I know we used it in the 1970's era diesel powered support equipment alot, but I don't know about the 2002 diesel powered stuff. It would be cool if it could be done. In a few years I'll have a HUGE supply of JP-5 (sort of).

Reply to
SpaseKase

Don't see why you couldn't. You'd just need an easily replaced fuel filter. If I remember JP5 has little bits of crap floating in it, that a jet plane doesn't care about but might eff up an injector.

Reply to
KJ

Used to be, there was Jet-A, which was diesel, and Jet-B which was kerosene. In the last few decades, jet fuel has gotten a lot more complicated with many different grades and military and civilian specifications that are different and I haven't tried to keep up. But I think JP5 is either kerosene or a mixture of diesel and kerosene. So that would not work in a car.

Elliot Richmond Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

Ok I had to try it. I pooped in my tank. I had to poke it down with a stick. It kinda smells funny now but it must be that it works cause the gauge went up and it's still running! Im gonna have a bunch of beans tonight for dinner then see if my mileage improves. Thanks for the idea Doc!

Reply to
Scott

I bet it would work in a vw rabbit diesel.

......sigh.....

Reply to
KJ

Let me tag onto my own message here. There is also aviation diesel (not jet fuel) which is used in the new internal combustion diesel engines that many small planes are switching too. This would be very high quality, ultra filtered fuel. it would also be a lot more expensive than conventional diesel.

[...]

I came in late on this thread so I don't know if this has already been said or not ....

A few times when I ran low on furnace oil for my home heating system, I went to the local gas bar and bought about 10 gal of diesel and dumped it in the tank. No difference in the furnace performance. It cost a lot more because of the taxes though.

On the second or third of these trips a construction machinery operator happened to be there and I told him what I was doing. His immediate comment was "Oh, you are burning winter diesel."

He went on to explain that the 'summer diesel' was 'heavier' molecule distillation but it thickened too much to flow properly in the winter, so

- in the winter the diesel equipment used the same fuel as home oil furnaces. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and for winter temperatures just think of Maine anywhere within 40 miles or so of the coast. (Inland Maine is often a lot colder than in most of Nova Scotia, or so I am told.)

When diesel cars first arrived in this area, about 40 years ago, I know of several people who had their home furnace oil consumption monitored by the government - and were hauled into court for tax evasion and fined heavily when they were found to be buying furnace oil all summer.

For what it is worth.

Ben F.

Reply to
Ben Fullerton

Actually, most FBOs run JET-A in their fuel trucks and snow plows with an additive called Diesel Conditioner - it improves the lubricity of the fuel to help the fuel pump and related components. JP-4 is a wide-cut kerosene than unfortunately has a fairly low flashpoint and isn't the best for diesel automobile engines. JP-5 and JP-8 don't have this problem and I routinely used to run a VW Rabbit diesel on both JET-A and waste JP-8 mixed with diesel fuel. Both run just fine with no ill effects.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Zweifel

William, Do you live in Bloomington, IL? If so, I'm right up old Rt-66 from you, in Towanda. Nice to know there's someone else from Corn Heaven around here.

Tony Kimmell Towanda, IL

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Hey Tony!

I tried to write you via direct e-mail --and guess what-- the message got returned.

Says your mailbox is full. You might want to fix that!

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

the only reason mix of diesel and kerosene wouldn;t work in a car is that damn red dye in the kero - I ran an '86 Ford Tempo diesel several years all thru the pennsylvania winters bythe sinple expedient of putting in 2-3 gallon of kero first before the diesel.... kept the thing from gellin up Quite nicely... ( of course a little anti-gel helped too ) but the diesel/kero mix worked just great and I never had fuel trouble as low as -30

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Hi!

ONLY in alt.trucks.chevy will you find this caliber of entertainment. I printed that off and stuck in a file folder. A few years later I will look it up and just laugh very heartily indeed...just as I am doing now... :-D

I hope you have a garage or some very .... understanding ... neighbors...otherwise you may get hauled off.

I am not going to ask how much time it took you to manage a successful delivery of the, uhhh, fuel to your fuel tank. Better be careful with poking it with a stick. It could get stuck in a strainer and you'd be up, well, "shit creek without a paddle".

Enjoy your beans. They're especially good with shoes. Take an athlete's shoes and you'll get a special octane or something similar kick...though going down they may put you a on a bit of a buzz. ;-)

William The Guesser - writing from the smartass division today...

Reply to
William R. Walsh

LOL, I was wondering if I would get a response from my gross story.

Reply to
Scott

??????????????????????????????????????????????? Every once of Kerosene that I've bought has been clear. The only thing I've seen with red dye is high sulfer off road (no tax) diesel.

Reply to
Larrie Malobenski

We used to have an '82 Datsun pickup that was diesel powered out on the farm to run errands with. We took off all the diesel badges once they started dipping tanks randomly in town... since it was ALWAYS filled with RED diesel ;-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Hi!

Well, what did you expect?

"Oh shit?"

William the Guesser - guessing that a long reply is always the better answer!

Reply to
William R. Walsh