Gas cab to Diesel -- how hard will this be???

Hello all...

I saw an '84 High Sierra arrive in the junkyard today...the bed is not really great, both doors have been abused and at some point someone bonked the front of the truck into a pole or something...but the cab is good. I'm going to see if I can buy the whole darn truck, take the cab and find something entertaining to do with the rest.

Anyone care to take a guess at what I should offer to pay for the whole thing and promise that none of it will be coming back to the junkyard? I know it won't run...but it is completely intact otherwise.

Now the real question--how much fun am I in for when I plan to pop this fine cab onto a truck with a Diesel engine? I know the gauges will be wrong, but how similar is the wiring? Should I plan to be pulling all the wiring and gauges from the Diesel for this new cab and how difficult will it be?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, inspirations or ideas.

William The Guesser

Reply to
The Unexpected Bill!

I had occasion to try and repair the dash wiring in a 1984 Chevy after the headlamp switch started to cook the wires. You would not believe how many different wiring harnesses there are in any given model year. It was a REAL adventure and now my wife and I are able to do the job with our eyes closed. We used 4 different harnesses to gather the parts to make one for oursleves and then ended up with a manual tranny harness instead of the auto one we needed. Never did get that sequential wiper working either.

From now on, I smell smoke and I will pull over, turn everthing on and let the sucker get air!

Forgive me. Just venting :(

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Change EVERYTHING from the old cab to the new one is the only way to go. What is wrong with your present cab?

Reply to
Brent Popp

Hi!

What is wrong > with your present cab?

Rust and one whole heck of a lot of it is really the only problem.

I've got a door with a busted window that I have yet to get fixed. I haven't done that yet mainly because the window mechanics are really messed up in that door and that's how the first window fell right out of the bottom of the door.

I would not even be doing this were the existing cab in any better shape than it is now...it is just that under the pedals there is really nothing left except floor mat and even that ends against the door. The passenger's side is worse. You can see a little of the tranny if you look.

A cab could be the solution to my woes as it would come with a good set of doors, no assinine sunroof and solid floorboards that I could do something to protect before rust took its course. I stopped in at the junkyard yesterday and found they wanted too much for the whole truck anyway...and I've put my plans on hold once again...

William

Reply to
The Unexpected Bill!

. . . Gas cab to Diesel -- how hard will this be??? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Oct 14, 2003, 1:51am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com (The=A0Unexpected=A0Bill!) Hello all... I saw an '84 High Sierra arrive in the junkyard today...the bed is not really great, both doors have been abused and at some point someone bonked the front of the truck into a pole or something...but the cab is good. I'm going to see if I can buy the whole darn truck, take the cab and find something entertaining to do with the rest. Anyone care to take a guess at what I should offer to pay for the whole thing and promise that none of it will be coming back to the junkyard? I know it won't run...but it is completely intact otherwise. Now the real question--how much fun am I in for when I plan to pop this fine cab onto a truck with a Diesel engine? I know the gauges will be wrong, but how similar is the wiring? Should I plan to be pulling all the wiring and gauges from the Diesel for this new cab and how difficult will it be?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, inspirations or ideas.

William The Guesser =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Willy, The project, as outlined, has been determined to be financially unbeneficial, and as your consultant, I would have to advise you at this time to reconsider your options.

We here at Scribs Bait Shop and Venture Consulting Service, recomend a thorough study be done in advance of any final comittments are pending.

We feel, that your investment funds would best be utilized at this point by "shoring up" the "floor bords" of your current investment portfolio.

With this in mind, and after studying the outline as it was presented, we at Scribs Bait Shop and Venture Consulting Services, suggest your funds be directed at the providing for a SOUND FLOORING...on which to start......which will release funds for some new "PORTAL" options with built in windows. We feel that if this investment is "over seen" with vigilance, funds would be available for "adding more color" to ENTIRE..........investment package.

scrib abell ~hopes you consider yer options wisely~

Reply to
Scrib Abell

Hi!

Where, Scrib, have you seen ANY vehicle related activity end up being "financially beneficial"? Vehicles double as vacuum cleaners that like money and time.

Besides, a brand new unit with a Diesel will be a $30K, thank you very much. A little beyond my reach for now. The existing truck knows nothing of engine computers, speed limiters and that little tattletale/remote control Onstar.

Got references?

I've got a hole in the roof too...damnible sunroof that got installed during a lapse of good judgement by my father. The ninnies who did it should have been promptly and squarely run over. I don't know how else this could possibly be fixed without the aid of a new cab.

This truck is slated for a complete top to bottom restoration. I'll work at messing it up myself or pay various folks I trust to do the individual parts...and I'll do it right for another 200,000 miles of service or (hopefully) far, far more...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

. Willy.....

one word....

Fibreglass!!!

it's all the rage.

scrib abell =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Re: Gas cab to Diesel -- how hard will this be??? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sat, Oct 18, 2003, 2:49am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com (William=A0R.=A0Walsh) Hi!

The project, as outlined, has been determined to be financially unbeneficial, and as your consultant, I would have to advise you at this time to reconsider your options.

Where, Scrib, have you seen ANY vehicle related activity end up being "financially beneficial"? Vehicles double as vacuum cleaners that like money and time. Besides, a brand new unit with a Diesel will be a $30K, thank you very much. A little beyond my reach for now. The existing truck knows nothing of engine computers, speed limiters and that little tattletale/remote control Onstar. ...

We here at Scribs Bait Shop and Venture Consulting Service, recomend a thorough study be done in advance of any final comittments are pending.

Got references? ..

We feel, that your investment funds would best be utilized at this point by "shoring up" the "floor bords" of your current investment portfolio.

I've got a hole in the roof too...

damnible sunroof that got installed during a lapse of good judgement by my father. The ninnies who did it should have been promptly and squarely run over. I don't know how else this could possibly be fixed without the aid of a new cab.

This truck is slated for a complete top to bottom restoration. I'll work at messing it up myself or pay various folks I trust to do the individual parts...and I'll do it right for another 200,000 miles of service or (hopefully) far, far more...

William =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Scrib Abell