Converting a truck cab to a standard hard top.

Hello folks. How easy/expensive is it to convert a truck cab 90 to a standard hard top, and are the necessary parts pricey. I would go for second hand parts not new. Cheers Rich

Reply to
Richard Layton

With an 88, all that's required is to remove the spacer behind the seats and then bolt the other roof on. You need to use the same bolts, plus two more long bolt assemblies on the rear corner posts. Other than the cost of the roof itself, nothing else is required. We used to change between full roof, cab & tilt on a regular basis. I doubt that a 90 will be any different.

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

"Richard Layton" wrote in news:cbkumt$pa6$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com:

Not difficult at all -- though all I did was remove the truck cab to replace the rear tub with one less bent and put the cab back on again.

I would imagine it would also be quite easy to pick up a van type rear end, or at least the two sides, from someone putting on panels with side windows. Roof and rear door might be more difficult to get 2nd hand. A new rear door from Paddocks cost me around £100 + VAT and about the same to get it sprayed, then there's the fittings (wiper, glass, door handle, hinges, etc.), say £300?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I think this is true in general. However either the ex mod 110 soft top I have had "settled" a bit during its mod life or the used hard top was a bit out. It all looked straight but my mate had to use webbing ratchet straps to pull it into line to get the bolts in.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Simply unbolt the truck cab and bolt on the hard top - couple of hours will easily do the whole job....

Or buy one of my coupe fastback hardtops so you can look sportier! From £400 they fit straight on to a 90 with no mods and give it that Wildcat / Tomcat / Challenger sort of look... Photos will appear soon on Defender Sport page of website - or I will have them on display on my stand at Billing.....

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA 4x4

Best to lift the hard-top/side-panel assembly with three people, one each side at the front and one at the rear.

It's replacing a tailgate with a rear door which is the tricky part.

If these let you use the tailgate, it'll be much easier to swap from truck-cab or soft-top, and back.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Just keep your tailgate in place and plonk the new fastback top down onto the body cappings......

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA 4x4

You don't say why you want to do it. Some insurance companies insist that a pickup can only be commercial and the premiums are pretty horrendous. But others will accept that it's "social and domestic". If that's the reason, phone around until you get the right quote. You may find you don't need to convert. Just a thought. Quotes on my pickup varied from £175 to over £900!!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I wan't it for social and domestic use. I got some good quotes for insurance. I probably will change it over just for the practicallity of it. I could do with load space that's a bit more accessable than from the back only. I also would like to see my dog other than through a window. I had a county before and want one again basically but I am being offered quite a tidy (but old) 90 with a truck cab and I always see Landy's as giant mechano sets and it's easy to get bits for them.

I MISS HAVING A LANDROVER!!!

So I am willing to spend a bit of time sorting one out.

Reply to
Richard Layton

I'll give you £100 for the truck cab roof and rear window etc, that should get you on you way...

Nic

Reply to
NictheGreen90

I'll give you £100 for the truck cab roof and rear window etc, that should get you on you way...

Nic

Reply to
NictheGreen90

There is a Landy man up in the hills by us that fixes all the local landy's. He might have the parts knocking around his yard so I will try him first but thanks for the offer.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Layton

Blimey! Is that what they're fetching these days? I've got one sat in the shed from when I ran our tatty S2A/3 as a pickup for a while a couple of summers back.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland

Now posted a piccie of one on the 'DEFENDER SPORT' page of

Or come and see one in the flesh at Billing ( Stands T12/T13 ) David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA 4x4